Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and reinstall XP error

• Please log in to reply

jclynn67

jclynn67

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Need help please!

I have formatted the hard drive on my niece's HP zd8000 laptop. Installed Avast free version. Tried to connect to the internet with the wireless card and it comes up The application failed to initialize properly (0x80000003). Click on OK to terminate the application. Get the same message when trying to install MBAM also. How do I get around this error so I can connect to the internet so I can download everything I need to?

Thanks a million!

Advertisements

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
just tried to play solitaire and get the same error ... just formatted and it worked till I installed Avast ... now nothing works ... can't even open add/remove programs ... get the same error! What is going on???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2011
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I just formatted my hard drive ... it has not be connected to the internet yet as the internet card and everything else now comes up with the error!

Should I just reformat again and try that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope go HERE and all the original drivers for the laptop are located there.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well ... I restarted the computer or tried to ... to see if that would help. It wouldnt load up again ... went into a loop of restarting and coming up with a flash of a blue screen with an error or something on ... it flashed so fast I couldnt read it ... then restart again etc. So I put the windows xp cd in again and trying to reformat it once again ... ugh what is going on? It has not been hooked up to the internet since we cleared all the previous viruses and formated. what would have caused this?

Please help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before going through all this again please do the following to see if we are dealing with a faulty hardware somewhere.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Couldnt get it to boot up so ended up reformating again ... well same thing happening ... can't open or do anything. Can't connect to the internet ... can't download anything to run it. It is a HP zd8000 laptop ... have no idea how much ram or what kind of hard drive ... it is not mine ... it is my niece's computer. Please instruct me as to what to do next to see if it is the RAM bad or what is causing this.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The system you are connecting to GTG with you can use to do the download of the memtest86 program and burn the disk with. Then you need to setup the bios on the laptop to boot to the cdrom first.
After that is done then the memtest86 cd should boot and you can then run the test.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
It is running the memtest86

Edited by jclynn67, 02 March 2011 - 10:20 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job and we will wait for your results. :D

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Pass 1 complete and no errors so far! Will let it run over night to see if anything shows up. What else can cause these issues? When restarts it goes into a loop and wont load windows!

Thanks again for you help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What disk are you using to reload?
Have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition on the drive?

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ran 14 tests overnight with zero errors found. Now it is in its continual loop of a flash of a blue screen before rebooting. F11 doesnt do anything. I got an Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1a from a friend to load the computer. Before I formatted I tried the recovery and it would recover but didnt help. Someone on here was kind enough to help me get rid of some viruses and he said it was clean and recommended formatting ... thats when these problems started ... so not sure if its connected with the orginal problem or what is causing this ... but getting frustrated. I clicked on F10 and got into BIOS ... scolling over to the exit tab, I seen it had a Hard Drive Self Test ... I tried it and it failed ... Test Status: #2- 07 Fail. Does that mean the hard drive is bad or just that it is not loaded properly? Where do we go from here? Could it still be a virus? It worked fine other than I had messed up and had 2 operating systems on there so none of the programs were on the working operating system. Hope this all makes sense and you have an idea to fix it!!!

Thanks so much for your time and help!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Makes me wonder if indeed the HD may behaving issues.
Try the following and see if it helps identify the issue.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions