Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and reinstall XP error

• Please log in to reply

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
whoa whoa whoa ... no I had windows xp pro on an old computer years ago ... the code I got with the cd now has never been used!!! I would never do anything illegal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry thought you meant if I had pro on another system I could copy that one file from ... nothing illegal going on here!!! I have asked around and no one has a cd to borrow ... either they didnt get a cd or have windows 7 or vista.

Advertisements

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have a windows xp pro cd that I have from an old computer but it doesnt have sp3 on it ... I have a friend with windows xp home but no one with the media center cd :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem but you can understand with your original statement it did look like it was installed on another system at the same time.
Now that being the case check the actual disk for scratches or dirt.
Using a optical lens cleaner disk try cleaning the laser in the cdrom drive.
The file you referencing as indicated above does affect media player, MSN, Messenger and Windows Live Messenger.
Though not a vital file it is needed to run those programs.
If you are able to get into XP Pro now try doing the following to see if it can repair or replace the missing file.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

SFC - Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well ... I used a spray can and blew out the cdrom as I dont have an optical cleaner handy and not sure they even sell them in town here (bad thing about living in a town less than 5000 people) and clicked run sfc /scannow and of course it come up with issues ... put the cd in and it asked what I wanted to do ... and gave me a list of choices (one was to install xp) so I installed xp ... and all installed!!!!! Nearest I can tell all works except the movie player ... so not sure if I should risk doing a reformat and see if it installs right now??? Or have her live without it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tell you what is she dead set on using WMP or can you convince her to use a different player?

Download free VLC Player

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
she doesnt know it yet ... and I will just tell her to use something else!! anything I should do with it being a new hard drive? I put Avast on it already ... any other recommendations or tweaking I should do before telling her to come pick it up?

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
is there a way to update all the drivers at HP? the mouse like to go haywire and moving all over ... if I push the button to freeze the mouse keypad and turn it back on it works fine again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Below is my recommendations.

• Avast is her AV and is a real time protection even with the free version. I use it and have for over 2 years now.
  • Malwarebyte's for Malware scanning. It has to be run manually when needed and can also scan individual folders and files if needed.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
  • Download SupeerAntiSpyware to scan for Spyware.
    http://www.superanti...efreevspro.html

• Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

[*] Download Auslogics Defrag for defragging instead of using Windows built in program. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download
[/list]

With the above combination she should be safe along with good browsing habits.
Weekly or at least monthly maintenance with Auslogics and ATF will keep her system in order and running quickly.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
thanks so much for all your help and advice!!! It is greatly appreciated!!! Will download and install all those in your last post and give her instruction on running them often. do you know if HP has a place to update drivers? any setting that should be changed? any other advice on settings and things to install is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First try HP's site and go to the Drivers and Download area.
She can then enter her Service Tag number and it will take her to the drivers that were original and any updates they have for the drivers.

Advertisements