Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which router to buy?

• Please log in to reply

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have an outdated Belkin 54-g router that has taken almost its last breath and I need some advice.

I've gone out on the web and read hundreds of reviews about different routers but cannot make a decision based on that because they vary so much depending on where you look. SO, i've come here for some expert advice.

I have a 3500 sq. ft. home.

My desktop, modem, and router are upstairs.

All of our laptops are downstairs.

Our living room tv is also connected to the internet for Netflix, etc.

I need a router that I do not have to worry about dropping constantly and one that is strong enough to run the 3500 sq. ft. and then some.

Please tell me which model to buy and why. I am planning on going out to pick one up ASAP.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

On-Site-Support

On-Site-Support

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello .
Since you have a big house i would advice you to get Linksys WRT54G it will cover your desired are of connection and you can program the device to have good security
regards.

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Shouldn't I go with an "N" type router?

Just curious based on all that I have read today.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I would recommend an N type router, yes.

There are plenty about, and different people will recommend different ones. I believe the Linksys WRT300N is supposed to be OK. Generally speaking, D-Link & Netgear are normally good as well. I personally don't like Belkin as I find they seem to fail frequently (but maybe that's just my experience). If you can stretch to a Draytek, then that would be my first choice.

Other considerations are:
interference from other devices
placement of the router in the house (i.e if you wish to use computers all over the house, then somewhere fairly central is ideal)
thickness of walls etc, as well as number of floors

If you still have problems, then you could try changing the wireless channel that the router broadcasts on, or failing that, you may need to add a repeater to strengthen the signal. Or, drop a cable through the upstairs floor and position the router downstairs instead

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I swapped out a friend of mines D-Link with an AirPort Extreme and I was shocked at the results. He has a very large home and we had been previously running the D-Link in the basement communications room and a WRT-54g in the upstairs bedroom as hardwired as a repeater. Once the AirPort Extreme was installed, we no longer needed the 54g as a repeater. He is able to get full coverage without the additional broadcast router.

As Samm said, no one can tell you for sure what, if any, router will fit your needs. Depending on the construction of the house and placement of the router, there might not be anything on the market that will provide full coverage in your situation.

Another nice thing about the AirPort Extreme is that it can be easily paired with an AirPort Express as a wireless network extender if needed. You basically just plug it into the wall and it connects to your existing network and acts as a repeater. It can also be used for a wireless printer, or for AirPlay to your home theater.

Unfortunately, the AirPort Extreme isn't cheap. which is the downside.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 04 March 2011 - 07:32 AM.

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I checked out the AirPort Extreme and it looks like an awesome router. The price is a bit high, however, some of the features seem worth it compared to others. You get what you pay for I guess. I'll post back if I purchase.

Thanks for pointing that one out!

PS: I'm still open to other suggestions, too.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It is a pretty sweet little box. I especially liked the ability to turn on a Guest Wifi so you don't have to give friends access to the network when the want to use the internet. Other routers have guest wifi functionality as well, but not with all the other features of the AirPort Extreme.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Quite like the sound of that one myself :D