Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My front usb ports will not recognise my walkman

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Can anyone help me to solve this annoying problem please?
I run Xp sp3 on an old but very updated tower Pc. I have the standard three usb ports at the front, and three at the rear. If I plug my walkman flash player in the front, using any of the three ports it will not recognise it, but if I plug it in at the rear Bingo! away it goes. :D
So, my two questions are: why is the Walkman only recognised when it's plugged into one of the three rear usb ports, and is there a way of identifiying which port is which?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Graham :D

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The rear usb ports, depending on your motherboard are provided direct from the motherboard.to the I/O plate.
The front usb ports come off a usb header on the board with a cable connection to the front ports.
Frequently the rear ports are provided with more power than the front ports.

Will a usb flash pen drive connect to a front port and be recognised.or anything else. - are we certain the front ports are connected.

When you connect to the front port does this then show as an unknown device in device manager.
Try disconnecting any other usb devices and then connecting the Walkman.

Additionally some early usb headers on motherbioards worked only at usb 1.0 rather than usb 2.0.
What is the connection for the walkman.
Have a look in the manual if you have it or google it.

Your tests are:
1. do any devices work on the front ports
2. disconnect other usb devices ie printer, external drive if usb powered etc.
3. Device Manager - start, right click My Computer, click properties, click hardware, click device manager.
4. Check for updates on the motherboard site.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you still require further help, as indicated by your PM. pls post on HERE.
with an indication of the results of my suggestions in post 2