Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Using the above link download the recovery console ISO

Burn it using this link
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Then run "chkdsk C: /r"
note space between C: and /r

presuming it identifies C as the hard drive with windows.

Advertisements

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for all your help guys. Sorry for a delayed reply, backing up files is taking longer than expected.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Right, I did chkdsk. After a while it said it found and fixed one or more errors, yet I still have the same problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun it to make sure it got everything. :D

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok I've rerun it twice, unfortunately to no avail...

On both reruns it did not mention anything of errors found.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the repair install didn't work then lets try a Parallel Installation. Please read the instructions carefully so that you will be able to get to your data after the install.
Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ah, I don't have the option to select C: Partition1 [NTFS], it's called C: Partition2 [NTFS] instead. Shall I select that one? It's the only ntfs option and also the only option where I have enough space. The only other option is:

-: Partition1 [FAT] 55mb (47mb free)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is fine.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Righto, that worked! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
make sure to follow the instructions exactly so you can then move data over after you have verified the system starts with the new installation.

Advertisements

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Right, I've verified it works by restarting. Where shall I move the data in my (old) documents? to the 'my documents' folder of the new user account i just set up?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep exactly the steps to take. From your description and the fact the system will now boot into the new installation that tells me the old OS has been damaged beyond repair. After moving the data over you will need to update and\or install all drivers, programs and updates for the OS.
Just as a FYI do the windows updates first since any new drivers will be included with that if available. After that then we can work on anything in Device Manager which may not update.
Good work in getting it back up and running. :D

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Well, I couldn't have gotten this far without you guys, so many thanks! :-)

Ok, to clarify, I've transerfered all the stuff from my documents to the new account, but this doesn't include the stuff in the old 'documents and settings' folder - does that matter? As far as I know there are no important data (like pictures etc there)

How shall I go about installing windows updates? It's not recognising my Internet connection; I don't even think it registers any network/ethernet hardware as network connections folder is empty. The ethernet controller along with the video controller and a load of other stuff is listed under 'other devices' in device manager - should I try install the drivers for them? Or should I download xp sp3 on my other computer and burn to a disk?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Here you go