Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok, so lets repair it.
  • Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
  • In the Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button.
  • In the window that opens, click on the Edit button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini)
  • copy the contents of the quotebox below and replace the old information in boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Now not to worry if the system does not boot correctly as I now have a copy of the original boot.ini and we can change it again if need be.

Advertisements

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Okay, fixed that. So, what do I do with all the programs previously installed that are now not registered with the os? delete them manually?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can or reinstall back into the same folder and it should re-register then. This way you may not lose the data but if so you did a backup so you should be safe if it did. :D

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Well thank-you for all your help guys :D

One question, I can't fully delete the old windows folder, there are files in it I'm not allowed to delete. The files left in the WINDOWS folder comprise about 20mb, but the WINDOWS folder itself is more than 2gb in size. Why is this? I can see hidden files too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will most likely have to boot into Safe Mode and then you will have full administrator rights.
Try deleting the folder then.
Once that is done reboot back into Normal mode and then run:
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hmmm safe mode didn't work, I still get an access denied error

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Can you just confirm that when you press F8 immediately after the post screen and keep tapping that key the advanced boot options for Safe Mode etc appear but when you then select Safe Mode it produces the access denied error.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 March 2011 - 06:38 AM.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Sorry, I didn't explain properly, I can use safe mode through the method you described, and I log on as 'administrator', but when i try to delete the old windows folder, it produces the access denied error.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. When you enter safe mode are you then logging on as the adminstrator
2. When you get to the old windows folder, open it please and right click on one of the folders, click properties, is there then a security tab.
3. If so and on that entry what permissions are shown pls.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Sorry for the slow reply - exam stress!

There is a security tab and on the administrator's entry full permissions are granted to the folder, subfolder and files.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to start ,programs ,accessories, system tools, disk cleanup
Run clean up on C drive and check to see if old/previous windows installation is shown in the listed files.

If it is, exit that and establish a restore point. That is back in system tools, system restore, create restore point.
You can name it - to Identify it for this purpose - old windows clean.

Now go back to diskcleanup and check the box by the entry old/previous windows installation.
Run disk cleanup.

NOw go back to C drive and see what is left in that folder.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 10 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Very sorry, I've been away from my computer for the past week and so haven't been able to make any changes.

I ran a cleanup on drive C, it found a few GB worth of temporary files etc. Deleted them, but still have a hefty 2.6 gb of the old WINDOWS folder.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on the folder and take ownership of it while in Safe Mode. Then try to delete it while still in safe mode.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
How do you mean 'take ownership'?