Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Read this from Microsoft HERE

Advertisements

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Sorry to put you on hold guys, it's just I have exams coming up I must revise for and am unwilling to do anything which could jeopardise my computer which is absolutely vital for my study. I will get back to you in 2 weeks or so. Many thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we understand with school, :)

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thankyou guys for your patience :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any further progress with the system in the past 18 days?

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I took ownership of the old WINDOWS folder whilst in safemode as per microsoft's instructions, but i still can't delete the folder

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey just had a suggestion and I honestly stupidly never thought of this.
Are you sure you are in your new Windows and not the old windows?
You can't delete the windows folder when you are in that windows.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
hmmm I am pretty sure I'm using the new windows, I mean, I've deleted 99% of the stuff in the old windows folder anyway, so how could I be using it? Only problem is that according to file properties, it takes up several GB of space, yet there is nothing in it. :)

How do I verify which Windows I am using? When I started up in safe mode, there was only one 'Windows' option to choose from from the operating systems list.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could try booting with a Linux Live Cd and then access the hd to delete the old windows folder then.

ZaCkOX

ZaCkOX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this happen this morning on two different computers. Exact same issue. I tried all stated within this thread and I will say erasing the drive and reinstalling Windows was the only way. I think there is a new nasty virus on the web. Boot sector viruses are not rare in my home. This is why I keep KillDisk on me. But now I had Deep Freeze not even stop this problem. Anyone have any other ideas without killing the partition to get it working? I'm sure I can recreate this problem by going to mangareader. It was the only place I went to after doing a manga search on yahoo.

Again, same problem, black screen with blinking _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ not loading into Windows or detecting the boot. Had to erase and reinstall windows.

Edited by ZaCkOX, 14 June 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements