Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting unopened emails

• Please log in to reply

senior69

senior69

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello- first post from a CHALLENGED senior!

I am unable to delete a new email without opening it in Windows Live Mail. The Delete icon at top is not fully'lit' if I view the unopened email in MSN Hotmail , it will delete there when I check the box but remains in my regular in box and sometimes opens when I log into the regular Windows screen. Should I really need to go through processes to delete unopened ( and possibly dangerous) messages? I have Windows 7 and Kaspersky anti- virus. Thank You!

Advertisements

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi Senior69, I also use Windows live mail and just experimented to see what would happen. Mine is a standalone version (I don't have to log-in to make it work) so maybe that is a difference but I found I can have a mail in the inbox, highlighted but not actually opened and just clicking on the 'delete' button will delete it.

Another option you might like to consider is a mail down loader called "Mailwasher". There are free and paid versions of it, the free one works well, I've used it for years on both my XP & Win 7.

What is does is allow you to download a portion of your mail without opening it, you can then see if it's spam or something you want and 'tag' it for deletion. Mailwasher can learn your choices easier then your mail program will. After you tell Mailwasher to 'wash' the mail what you tagged is removed, what you want to keep is retained. You can then open your full email program and just get the stuff you wanted.

Mychael

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Delete e-mail messages
By default, Windows Live Mail saves copies of messages that you delete in the Deleted items folder in the folder pane (The left pane in the Windows Live Mail window, containing the folder structure for all the e-mail accounts, newsgroup accounts, or RSS feeds that you've added. The folder pane also shows your Outbox and any offline storage folders on your computer's hard disk.) . To conserve disk space, you can choose not to save copies of deleted messages.

Posted Image Delete an e-mail message
  • Start Windows Live Mail.

Posted Image Show me how
    • In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Programs.

–or–

In Windows Vista, click the Start button, and then click All Programs.
    • Click Windows Live, and then click Windows Live Mail.
  • In the lower-left corner of the window, click the Mail icon Posted Image.
  • In the folder pane, click the folder that contains the message.
  • In the message list, select the message.

To select multiple messages, hold down the CTRL key, and then click each of the messages.
  • Click Delete.
Posted Image Stop saving deleted items in the Deleted items folder

Posted Image Show me how

–or–

• Click the Tools menu, and then click Options.

If you can't see the menu bar, in the upper right corner of the screen, click the Show menu button Posted Image, and then click Show all menus.
  • Click the Advanced tab, and then click Maintenance.
  • Select the Empty messages from the 'Deleted Items' folder on exit check box.
  • Click Close, and then click OK.

The Deleted items folder is cleared when you exit Windows Live Mail.

Notes
  • To restore a deleted message, open the Deleted items folder, and then click and drag the message back to the inbox or another folder.
  • To permanently remove all deleted items for a particular account, in the folder pane, right-click the Deleted items folder, and then click Empty 'Deleted items' folder.

senior69

senior69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Delete e-mail messages
By default, Windows Live Mail saves copies of messages that you delete in the Deleted items folder in the folder pane (The left pane in the Windows Live Mail window, containing the folder structure for all the e-mail accounts, newsgroup accounts, or RSS feeds that you've added. The folder pane also shows your Outbox and any offline storage folders on your computer's hard disk.) . To conserve disk space, you can choose not to save copies of deleted messages.

Posted Image Delete an e-mail message

Posted Image Show me how

–or–

• In the lower-left corner of the window, click the Mail icon Posted Image.
  • In the folder pane, click the folder that contains the message.
  • In the message list, select the message.

To select multiple messages, hold down the CTRL key, and then click each of the messages.
  • Click Delete.
Posted Image Stop saving deleted items in the Deleted items folder

Posted Image Show me how

–or–

• Click the Tools menu, and then click Options.

If you can't see the menu bar, in the upper right corner of the screen, click the Show menu button Posted Image, and then click Show all menus.
  • Click the Advanced tab, and then click Maintenance.
  • Select the Empty messages from the 'Deleted Items' folder on exit check box.
  • Click Close, and then click OK.

The Deleted items folder is cleared when you exit Windows Live Mail.

Notes
  • To restore a deleted message, open the Deleted items folder, and then click and drag the message back to the inbox or another folder.
  • To permanently remove all deleted items for a particular account, in the folder pane, right-click the Deleted items folder, and then click Empty 'Deleted items' folder.

Thanks for reply- my issue is that I can't delete an unopened, unread email if I want to.When I click on the delete icon in the Windows 7 task bar-nothing happens

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
senior69

No problem.
Please do not post back the full message, please just reply unless there is something you particularly wish to quote from it.

Please send a screenshot of the button in question - obviously delelting anything you consider personal

You may not need to do that - if you have kaspersky set up for email scanning - try disabling that aspect.
There have been a number of reports of the AV , not only Kaspersky interfering with the delete when set up for email scanning.

HOWEVER an important point is of course, did it work at one time, and has therefore only recently failed - the delete.without opening.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 March 2011 - 06:22 PM.

Hamn

Hamn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi I am new to this forum

I have the same problem with Windows Live Mail 2013  the OS is Windows 10

Example

I Receive 5 emails 

I open 1 email, the other 4 I want to delete without opening them

I suspect that one of the unopened emails maybe suspect as I have no Knowledge of the sender

therefore a solution is required as soon as possible

My last email program had a check box to select each message for deletion

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Can you right click on the E-mail and delete?

Hamn

Hamn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Many thank TECH

Problem Sorted