Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't open after connected to cable or dial up.

• Please log in to reply

captainlee

captainlee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, what a great site hope you can help me !!!

Problem: after opening IE both in dial up and cable are connected and working but IE wont get me on the internet keeps saying can't connect.
tried replacing IE 6 with IE 7 no help installed xp sp2 no help also some other programs start IE without any reason but still no connection????

I can hear the dial up connect but no connection just the error message on IE
I can see the connection rates and bps on one of the menues telling me that the cable is connected yet only error mesg. from IE

PLease help....Cap

Edited by captainlee, 04 March 2011 - 01:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

A couple of IE settings may be wrong:

Open IE and click Tools >> Internet Options.

Click the Connections tab, then click the LAN Settings button.

Automatically detect settings
should be ticked.
Use automatic configuration script should be unticked.
Use proxy server for your LAN should be unticked.
Click 'OK'
Restart IE

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
O' Thank You for your suggestions and all of the boxes are checked or unchecked as you described.
If you are avaible I will looking for help all day today.$

the error message reads "IE cannot display webpage." I put in different web page address but to no avail.

Still need help. thanks Cap.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I can hear the dial up connect but no connection just the error message on IE

Are you saying you are connecting on a dialup?

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Yes I am connection on a dial up but yesterday i tried to connect on the cable and still no go so i ve tried both but right now i am using the dial up. Cap.
I have two computers one in the house and one in the garage.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you need to pick one way to connect because you can't simply just switch between dialup and broadband. They connect different ways.
Dialup uses a phone line and broadband normally uses a cat 5 internet line which looks like phone line but is larger in size.
One way uses a dialup connection and the other will sue a LAN connection.

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes I am aware of the connectors. I am going to use cable all the time. my computer has a built in cable connector to the computer board. Cap.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then something isn't right because you shouldn't be hearing the old modem connection on dialup.
Just to test if the browser is having the issue or the internet connection itself is the problem please try downloading Firefox from my signature below and installing it. Make sure to setup for broadband..DSL or Cable and let us know if it connects using it.

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The reason i hear the dial up is because i have put in the phone number to dial to a provider to test the dial up.
so both dial up and broadband have the same problem with IE.
so any way I will download the firefox web brasuer on this machine and copy it to a disc and pput it in the computer we are working on, but Im not sure I know how to set it up for bround band or does it have a install dropdown menu??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should ask how you connect when installing.

Advertisements

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes i installed firefox and still does the same thing as Ie cant find web page error message?? on dial up.

next?? Cap.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok lets backup a minute here.
Before going to broadband did you setup a lan connection under network neighborhood?

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no can you give me the instructions and i'll do so and hook it up to the broadband connector in the next 30 minutes. ok? Cap

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Confused on how to setup your broadband internet to your XP computer? Just follow the simple steps enumerated here and you will be connected to the Internet in no time.

Once you have subscribed to a broadband internet service provider, the next thing you have to do is set up the internet connection on your computer. You just have to follow the provider’s instructions in installing the network equipment that came from them. After which, you will need to set up your computer with the broadband internet connection.

If you are using Windows XP, the steps are relatively easy as there is already a wizard that you just have to follow. The detailed instructions in setting up Windows XP for your broadband internet connection are as follows:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections. This path is true if Control Panel is in the Category View. If Control Panel is currently in the Classic View, just find Network Connections then click on it.
2. In the Network Connections window, there are several category options on the left panel. Click Create a new connectionunder Network Tasks.
Posted Image

3. The New Connection Wizard window will come up. Click Next. Under Network Connection Type, choose Connect to the Internet then click Next.
Posted Image

Posted Image

4. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
Posted Image

5. Under Internet Connection, there are two options for broadband.
* If you are using DSL connection, choose the second option (Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password). Click Next
Posted Image

o On the ISP Name field, type your preferred name for your Internet connection. Click Next.
Posted Image

o On the Connection Availability window, choose My use only. Click Next.
Posted Image

o Enter your account Username and Password on the Internet Account Information window. Click Next.
Posted Image

o Click Finish.
Posted Image

* If you are using Cable modem connection, choose the third option (Connect using a broadband connection that is always on). Click Next. Click Finish.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the wizard is finished, you are now ready to use the Internet. If you set up using DSL connection, you just need to click on the new icon added on your desktop then login. For Cable modem connection, you should be ready to browse websites now without the need to login.

Steps written and published by frizbueno and BrightHub

Edited by rshaffer61, 04 March 2011 - 09:04 PM.
Changed post to show the right information

captainlee

captainlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK thanks so much I'll get on it in the morning and get back to you on this fourm see you then THAnks so much. caP :D