Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer, Screen Wont Stay Still

• Please log in to reply

Shacko

Shacko

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
My computer has been getting slower for a while and it also has a problem with the image on the screen rolling up and down, you have to keep correcting in order to work on it.

It never bothered me until now because it has become so bad it's hard to use the computer, any help?

System Information:

Windodws XP Home
Version 2002
Ser. Pk. 3
Dell Dimension 3000
CPU Intel Pentiom 4
2.00 GB Ram
C-Drive 44.9 GB Free Space

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried a different monitor or your monitor on another known working system?
This would tell you if it is your system or the monitor.
I am willing to bet the hold controls on the monitor are shot.
Now the slowness issue we can work with but if you can't use the monitor it will make it hard to help you out.

Shacko

Shacko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I don't have access to another monitor, but I didn't think it might be the monitor, it's just the sites that I surf the most, being on the forum HERE I am having no problems, I jumped over to a couple of the sites I'm having a problem with and their screens are still rolling, I hope the additional information will help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please provide a couple of the sites you are having problems with so I can check them here. It may be a problem with the sites themselves.

Shacko

Shacko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I tried to post links to a couple of sites but they wont work :D , I don't know how to get one on the site :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
When you are on the site, right click the address bar click copy and then click paste on the post

Shacko

Shacko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks to Macboatmaster I can get the links up now:

http://forum.doityou...bing-piping-31/

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/

http://www.plumbingz...6-version-4015/ :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets check the browser then by doing the following.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Shacko

Shacko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I downloaded TFC and the sites I indicated no longer roll, I did get a error when it was done (The main databaase file is damaged:Error 65-FONL), is this something I should be worrying about?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the error in TFC or after windows rebooted?
The websites not rolling now is good news.

Advertisements

Shacko

Shacko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
It came on right after Windows re-booted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is everything working ok now with the system and with the websites?
If so rerun TFC again and then do the following immediately after it reboots.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
rshaffer61
Hope you do not mind me coming in again, only posted last time to tell him how to paste the links.

Any chance he is on AOL

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem anytime you want to join the fun you are welcome to.
Your instructions were what was needed in this case.
:D

Shacko

Shacko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

rshaffer61
Hope you do not mind me coming in again, only posted last time to tell him how to paste the links.

Any chance he is on AOL