Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"The dependency service or group failed to start"

• Please log in to reply

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,
I really need someones help. My brother cannot get his assignments done without the home pc. Right now the internet won't start because in the network status of the internet it says "The dependency service or group failed to start". The avast antivirus software also won't work.
I looked up some forums and they said to try winsock reset, that didn't work. Then I read this other method which involved searching for "Network Local Awareness" and "Diagnostic Policy Service" in this folder (right click My Computer - Properties - Manage - Services & applications - Services).
The post mentioned that if the services were disabled or stopped, to activate them. They were both stopped and so i tried to clicked 'start' but they weren't able to due some error.

Please help! :D

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
"The dependency service or group failed to start" means that another service has to be running first.

Right click on Computer and select Manage (Continue) then Services and Applications then Services. Find Network Location Awareness and right click on it and select Properties. Click on the Dependencies tab at the top. It should tell you that it needs Network Store Interface Service, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), TCP/IP Protocol Driver. So close the properties window and see which of the three is not running. Right click on the non running one and select Properties. Make sure the Startup Type: is set to Automatic (Apply) then try to Start the service. IF it complains about a dependency service then look and see what it needs. IF you get a different error then tell me what it says.

Ron