Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy self typing laptop! can't reinstall xp...

• Please log in to reply

randomname123456

randomname123456

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

First I'm from the netherlands so English is not my main language...

My problem:

I bought a second hand laptop for 10 bucks. (for mobile communication on my journey). It is an dell latitude d520 and the disc drive doesn't work.
The problem is that sometimes suddenly the comp will type it's own keyboard. i hear very much ping ping ping (system alert sound) very fast (like prrrrrring) i hope you understand.

Then it stops, this is very annoying + when you click on a application or folder it shows the preferences and information about That item in stead of opening it. You can only open it By right mouse click -> open.

OK, so i thought about reinstalling "Windows xp sp2" i still have an old copy laying here.
But since there is no cd drive anymore, i should install it from a usb stick.
I googled and found a very handy and popular program to make a bootable usb stick. (forgot name...)

I plugged it in, rebooted and pressed f12. then i choose boot from usb-device --> the screen goes black and i see a blinking white line totally right upp. (and wil very speedy beep after a while, probably also his keyboard problem -error sounds of "you can't type now") that will stay for ever...

Please say what this could be?

ps:IF I Connect an external usb keyboard while in xp, the same problem occurs so it is not because of a broken laptop keyboard...

very much thanks in advance!

Edited by randomname123456, 05 March 2011 - 11:24 AM.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

I bought a second hand laptop for 10 bucks.

You will NEVER get a good laptop at that price. Believe me, a laptop costs WAY more than that.

It may be your keyboard's fault. You could have 2 KBs working at the same time, inputting keys and messing things up.
Try disconnecting the KB on your laptop. The method depends on your computer model.

See this page and follow the instructions to remove the KB: Dell support

randomname123456

randomname123456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks,indeed i could have expected something like this for that price...