Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS P5B upgrading

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I have an old PC with an Asus P5B that I wish to start using again. I am going to install Windows 7 etc.

The problem is I am unable to boot from anything but the HDD, which makes my life somewhat difficult. The MSDOS boot disc is on a floppy (and of course, I don't have a floppy drive handy!)

Any ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi there tiroshii,

The problem is I am unable to boot from anything but the HDD

Why is this CD/DVD drive broke?
What about installing it from a memory stick.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I selected CD/DVD and tried both drives but nothing happens. It also doesn't give me the option to boot from USB. I'm guessing I may have to update BIOS?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Can you check in the BIOS that the boot sequence is saved as CD/DVD drive 1st and the HDD 2nd.
As it is an older MB the CR2032 battery on the MB may be dead, have you reset the time & date
& if so is it still showing the correct settings?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Will try this now. CD/DVD is set first and HDD second. I even disabled all other boot options leaving just CD and got an error saying there were no bootable devices.

Set time/date, turn off and unplug?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Will try this now. CD/DVD is set first and HDD second. I even disabled all other boot options leaving just CD and got an error saying there were no bootable devices

Did you have the disk in the drive at the time, it is not bootable without a boot disk in the tray, did the disk spin suggesting it was being read?

Set time/date, turn off and unplug?

Was it stored on the BIOS chip?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Yes date and time stay. I just realised that my CD drives stopped working the last time I used the computer nearly 2 years ago!!

Is there a way I can make it boot from USB?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I am working on repairing the disc drives now

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I am an idiot. I have no idea how I didn't notice. I replaced the PSU 2 years ago when it blew up (literally). It seems that I was a bit hasty when rewiring and completely forgot to plug the disc drives into the motherboard!

Very sorry to waste your time! Although it would be good to know how to make it accept USB :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I am an idiot. I have no idea how I didn't notice. I replaced the PSU 2 years ago when it blew up (literally). It seems that I was a bit hasty when rewiring and completely forgot to plug the disc drives into the motherboard!

Very sorry to waste your time! Although it would be good to know how to make it accept USB :D

You havn`t wasted anyones time, its what forums are for, to help each other and someone else may learn from your oversight.
Is the option to boot from a USB device available in the BIOS? If it is enable it, save F10, exit, press Y to accept the changes and you are done.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Currently reinstalling Windows from CD - so that's working fine.

But it just gives no option to boot from USB in the boot options menu :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The user manual doesn`t list whether you can or can`t boot from USB http://dlcdnet.asus....B/e2620_p5b.pdf see section 4.6

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I've done some reading and found that if not given the option you're pretty much stuffed.

http://www.computing...bios/44710.html

At least I can boot from CD/DVD though. Thanks!