Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Purchase Problems

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I need a hard drive... desperately!

I would like 2TB. I would prefer external but I heard internal are cheaper.

I'd like a good balance of price and performance. I found one at costco (but i don't want it because it's 1TB)
General Features:

1 Terabyte (TB) formatted capacity
Serial ATA/300 interface
300 MB/s data transfer rate
7200 RPM spindle speed
32 MB buffer
3.5-inch form factor
Halogen-free design for eco-friendly footprint
Advanced power management and HiVERT technology
Thermal Fly-height Control (TFC)
ECC and CDC protection
Smart command transport
Internal thermal sensor
Advanced Features:
Applications:

Consumer and commercial computers
Personal storage
PC gaming
Power Specifications:
5V, 450mA
12V, 700mA
Regulatory Approvals:
CE
cULus
TUV
C-Tick
WEEE
Product Requirements:

Available 3.5-inch drive bay
SATA controller
SATA cable

Package Includes:

One (1) Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1 TB SATA/300 Hard Drive

It seems to have good specifications. Mainly video files will be stored on it. Ideally I'd like an external I can use for both my mac and my pc, but if not, then I can put it in the PC and transfer manually...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
2 TB external drives from NewEgg HERE

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
No offense, but that isn't helpful. I know how to google things too. What I need from your expertise is what is the best value? Should I get internal or external? Which company is best? What about data transfer rates? And RPM?

Please help me out. I'm not a total n00b

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Since you want to transfer files, you might want an external drive.

There are many manufacturers, but Samsung and WD are most widely used.

If you are going to purchase such a big drive, you should settle for SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s). It should keep up for quite a few years. You may also want to consider a drive that can use eSATA or USB 3.0.

A typical 7200 rpm drive should work fine, but if you don't care much about speed, use a 5400 rpm drive, it uses less energy and is cooler.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What I need from your expertise is what is the best value?

I'm not sure what you mean by value. Value to me is based on my needs and what I can afford to get at that time.

Should I get internal or external

This is the easiest of all your questions to answer. You said in your first post:

I would like 2TB. I would prefer external but I heard internal are cheaper.

I gave you a option on where to buy the external since that is what you you mentioned you wanted.
Yes Internal is cheaper in most cases but the mobile aspect is what you mentioned at the end of your first post.

Ideally I'd like an external I can use for both my mac and my pc, but if not, then I can put it in the PC and transfer manually...

Which company is best?

This you will hear different opinions depending on who you talk to.
I myself like Western Digital Black drives. Maybe not the fastest but they are made to last since WD sells them as their work horse drives.

What about data transfer rates? And RPM

7200 is the standard rpm now for the newest drives unless you want a SSD drive which is faster. With that faster speed you also will pay a premium price. Another tidbit of information is these SSD drives come in smaller capacity drives at the moment.

The more cache memory you can get on the drive the better the transfer rate.

So to answer your questions more directly:

I prefer WD drives so I would choose this one HERE.
Even though it is not part of their Black Series of drives it comes with some good software.
It is a USB 2.0 connection between the drive and the system so it should work with almost any system out there now.
If you want to be able to share your info with other systems then go with a external. If your privacy is more important then go with a internal.
If you want to use the drive also as a backup for data along with your videos then I would go with a external.
I myself have 3 drives in my system.
My main drive is split into 3 equal partitions where I run run 3 different OS's
I have a 1 gig HD for my music and games on. I have about a thousand songs on it and about 12 games fully installed and not even 150 gigs used on it at this point
My other drive is a 1 gig for my digital backups which is now about 400 and I have used 350 gigs on that drive.
My point is a 2 tb drive is great but with that much space you would be smarter buying 2 x 1 tb drives and have one as backup and one for what you intend to use it for. This way if something happened to your main drive you would always have a second copy of your data.

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I know I am the new guy here ... but

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 March 2011 - 02:22 PM.
Removed un-needed comments

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
take it easy...

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
no worries,

It just seemed disrespectful

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
takes on this one?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136471

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks exactly what we have been discussing. The only part that I question is the OS's it is compatible with as indicated from the details and included below.

Features
Compatibility:
Available USB port
Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard
Windows Vista/XP

Now it is compatible with Vista so I see no reason it won't work with Win7.
The only common negative feedback I saw was that it was slow but with 2tb of capacity and 1.81tb when partitioned and formatted it will take awhile.