Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS INSTALLER DOES NOT WORK

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I have done a repair of the OS, ck'd and re ck'd services.msc and still having no success.
It has occurred to me that there might be a setting that i do not know about to ck on in my internet explorer rather than the OS since there is nothing happening with that avenue.

Once place suggested that it would help if downloads.com be added to the trusted sites. This did not help. Since this is the non functioning problem, the suggested download "fixes" are fairly a waste of time.

By the way where is that temporary folder it initially states it is downloading to ???
I am not able to save to desktop either.

This is the umpteenth time i have attempted to get a solution on here. And it is the first time there does not seem to be any answers forthcoming from all you brains out there.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

I have done a repair of the OS, ck'd and re ck'd services.msc and still having no success.
It has occurred to me that there might be a setting that i do not know about to ck on in my internet explorer rather than the OS since there is nothing happening with that avenue.

What is "ck"? I have never come across this term before. and I am still a little unsure about your problem, do you want to find out where this file you downloaded is saved?

Edited by ZaRMan, 06 March 2011 - 03:18 AM.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I imagine he means "checked and re-checked".

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to confirm. ThanksPosted Image

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
:D

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
What does just a guy that plays with computers mean???

I am TRYING to download important attachements to emails for review and signatures that need to be replied to and have worked with MS on this and I am desparate for a resolution. As I said before i have even done a repair.

It has occurred to me that perhaps this could be a setting that i have overlooked. But am at my end and hoped to receive the usual professional attitude toward one's challenges. Yes, I know that you all are volunteers but have never been treated so cavalerrly or dismissively in the past.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

What does just a guy that plays with computers mean???

I build my own.
I was helping ZaRman when he was not clear on your typing shorthand and offered my interpretation.
Usually in whichever browser you use there will be something like tools/settings or options/preferences, something along those lines. In there you should find a tab to allow you to select where you want downloads to go to.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
sorry for the negativ assumptions. Tried to follow thru with your suggestions about telling IE where i would like my downloads to go and i just did not locate that one.
I have tried in another situation with "save" to tell it hwere to save what i am downloading but that turns up nothing. I keep thinking i am going to find it and it will be bursting with downloads.. In the meantime I am on a nearly yr long journey and it is so tiresome and fustrating.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Ok. Try this. First make sure all your toolbars are displayed. First click on file > View > toolbars and make sure menu bar and command bar is ticked.
Then select tools > view downloads that should bring up a new box which in the bottom left corner has options. If you click on that it will show you where it defaults to save downloads but if you click on the browse button you should be able to set a different location. I sometimes choose desktop as it saves hunting through folders.

Edited by Mychael, 07 March 2011 - 08:40 PM.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have tried on multiple occasions to try to get it to go to desktop but that is the portion of all this process that just does not happen. When i click for the installation and the download begins it states that it is downloading to temporary folder. I am yet to locate this temporary folder with my document etc.
It just appears to flit off into no man's land with the clicking on it to install.
I know these are not proper geek terms but frankly i cannot think of a term to describe what occurs.
It is like where did those files go ???

PS I did ck the toolbars and made sure those items were checked.

Edited by headwayne, 08 March 2011 - 10:53 AM.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Ok. So you were able to get to the point I described where you had the box that showed the download location and then you tried the 'browse' button within that box to select where you want it to go? If you got to this point and I understand you correctly you are saying that even if you select 'desktop' as the save destination it does not go there.

Try those steps again if you got there last time in the order I gave you and this time try to select a folder you know you can easily find like 'documents' as an example.. See if the files will save there.

Alternatively if you have not already tried this and you know at least some of the name of the file you are trying to save then just click on the windows Orb and in the search box type in the names of the files your trying to find.

I just had another thought also make sure you don't run any sort of cleaner program or even close your browser until you see if you can locate those files you've just downloaded because if as you say they are saving into a temporary folder then maybe you have something set up to empty/purge the temp folder automatically or when you close the browser and it's deleting the files before you find them.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Yes, I have done searches for the files. I tried cking in the computer>documents,desktop and "everywhere" as well as just hitting the enter.
Normally, when this process is happening it goes to run or an option to where to put it and then it would go thru the installation but it just does not make it to there.

Also, what might I have set to empty/purge rather than install ??
When I have checked the services.msc>windows installer, it shows that another file with the word remote in it is dependent on this installer. Is that in anyway something that i should pursue? Is ther anything else that is on the other end of dependencies as far as another file setting that i might look at ??
Having to email things to another party to open downloads and then either get them via snail mail or fax is certainly cutting down onthe productivity around here.
I am really appreciative of your attention to this matter. As i mentioned before MS just does not care.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Also, what might I have set to empty/purge rather than install ??

.tmp(temporary) files or folders are things that just accumulate and are mostly things that can be deleted every so often.
You would not have set to empty as opposed to install but if it did happen to download into a temporary folder I was thnking that maybe that folder got emptied before you ever found the file.
Usually .tmp files only get removed if you run you disk cleanup toll or something like that, sometimes a browser can be configured to delete stuff after it's closed. I don't use i.e regularly myself so was working through it as I was writing my answer to you about save destinations.

As to the 2nd part of your question about the other file I cannot help. Sorry but I've run out of suggestions to try, hopefully others while chime in with more assistance then I can give you. Good luck.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Which version of IE are you using? And you should try a different browser *cough* Google Chrome *cough* to see if the same problems occur