Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer build won't power up

• Please log in to reply

Zahanine

Zahanine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built this computer to be a basic machine not meant for gaming. Below are the stats:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 X2
HITACHI Deskstar 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 - OEM
Thermaltake TR2 W0379RU 500W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX PVT86SYHLG GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
Win7 64bit

The problem:
When I turn on the conputer, the fans on the CPU and power supply spin for one split second and turn off. I have replaced the MB thinking my refurbished was bad since the system light flickered. I then replaced the Power supply since I originally purchased a 400W. I have tested the processor and the processor is good in other machines. I have also placed in this new machine a 700W power supply from a known working machine with everything the exact same EXCEPT the motherboard and Graphic card which both are more planned for gaming. I have double checked all cables and even replaced the case thinking the front connectors were bad. The ethernet port does light up and blink when turned on but that is the only hint of life. I am stumped and do not know where to go from here. I have disconnected everything except the 24pin connector and the 8 pin ATX which are required by the MB. I have also disconnected everything to include the RAM and fans.I have even double checked the CPU mounting to ensure it is seated properly.

Any thoughts??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Zahanine :D
The MB was possibly DOA, read the reviews at the attached link, one unlucky guy even got 2 DOAs.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157176
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX and only insert 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion, if you have a system speaker try removing the Ram and powering up to check for error beeps, if you do it suggests the Ram is ok but the video card may not be, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.
If after checking all of the above the issue is not resolved I would suspect either bad Ram or a bad MB, based on the fact that the Ram has been tried on 2 MBs that have not worked it could be the culprit.