Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot install OS or navigate bios

• Please log in to reply

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
OK I received this laptop yesterday. I deleted one of the partitions and wanted to delete the second one, but upon rebooting I was faced with this message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

When I put the OS disc in it says something like "Press any key to boot from CD" and this message appears again.

I have tried going into the BIOS to configure the boot sequence but the only keys I can seem to navigate with are Esc and the left arrow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by dudeinmud, 06 March 2011 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Did you know what was on the partition before deleting it? And what process did you go through to delete it?

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
It was some type of XP.

To delete the partition I inserted the new OS disc and it took me to the blue menu where you can delete, add and install partitions.

I then deleted that XP partition.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Where did you get the OS disc? (is it XP?)
Also if you could add details about your laptop that would be helpfulPosted Image

Edited by ZaRMan, 06 March 2011 - 05:11 AM.

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
The laptop is a Packard Bell easynote R4.

The OS is a disc copy that I made of an old PC that I do not use any more.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
So you mean that the disc is a repair disc and not an XP installation disc? How exactly did you 'make' this OS disc? And since this is new, did any discs arrive with the laptop in the packaging? Sorry about all the questions but I need to know certain details to get to the root of the problem

Edited by ZaRMan, 06 March 2011 - 05:31 AM.

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

So you mean that the disc is a repair disc and not an XP installation disc? How exactly did you 'make' this OS disc? And since this is new, did any discs arrive with the laptop in the packaging? Sorry about all the questions but I need to know certain details to get to the root of the problem

It is not a repair disc, it is a full OS disc, it is the same one as my old PC (Windows XP). The disc has worked before on another PC.

The laptop was given to me with nothing but the PSU.

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Someone please help - how do I mark this thread as unsolved?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure why you want to Mark Unsolved when you have received 3 replies in less then 12 hours.
Please remember we are all volunteers here and the member or staff that may be helping you may be on a different time zone then you are. Also please be patient as we have families to take time with so we cannot be here all the time.

It is not a repair disc, it is a full OS disc, it is the same one as my old PC (Windows XP). The disc has worked before on another PC.

What reg key are you using to activate this with?

The OS is a disc copy that I made of an old PC that I do not use any more.

Please explain what you mean by copy. Are you saying you imaged from another system to this system?

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yes is is imaged off of an old pc and worked with another.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok that may be the problem. Since the image would contain the drivers from the host system they may be conflicting with this system.
What about my other question about the reg key to activate windows. Where is that coming from?

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Ok that may be the problem. Since the image would contain the drivers from the host system they may be conflicting with this system.
What about my other question about the reg key to activate windows. Where is that coming from?

ok i tried it with my friends oem disc. using a normal windows xp BUT i havent even got that far - i cant get to the partition part.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php