Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer was acting weird any help please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JLoughlin

JLoughlin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi just wondering if anyone could help me, last night i had a problem with my computer it lasted a few hours heres what happened...

when i clicked on a desktop icon it would open another one on the far side always whichever was last in the row i found this out by swapping them around

also when going on to a web page it would go straight to the bottom and wouldnt let me scroll back up, unless there was a box i could write in and i clicked in it, but then if i clicked anywhere else on the page it went straight back down again and wouldnt let me scroll again!

when i tried to type anything into the web bar it would bring up something from previous history and it would stay there and my writing would continue after the writing eg.. type in M manutd.com came up as i continued to write it wouldnt change just wrote like manutd.comgoogle.com i could delete it but couldnt get to a page i wanted unless i clicked a direct link in favorites etc...

i tried to system restore it wouldnt let me click on continue any pop up with the continue promt did nothing when continue was clicked but went away after i clicked cancel java updates and such...

to my annoyance my partner continued to turn off my full system scan with norton so when he fell asleep i did it without him to turn it off, it came up with nothing! no threats nothing, there was 5 cookies that were removed and then it started working again after that.

now i know nothing of computers really, can cookies harm your computer like this? i really thought it was a virus! i have the norton as i said and yes a full version of it. the reason why im asking this question is my son was on the computer for a very short 10 mins before all this happened and hes getting the blame of kids websites and viruses (i did check the history he went on only 2 websites club penguin.com and moshimonster.com
im just wondering if this is the case i dont want to stop him using the computer and i dont believe there are more viruses on the sites my son goes onto than facebook or other websites! is this an unlucky coincidence or was it something stupid like so many certain keys pressed at the same time has locked something i do have a baby girl who has did this before as much as i try to keep her away from the keyboard she does manage to bang keys every so often if anyone can help me find out what happened it would be much appreciated

Advertisements

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Hi JLoughlin,

I noticed you already have a topic about the problem here: http://www.computerh...?topic=116882.0

Please choose on which forum (at computerhope or here) you want to continue. :D

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.