Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure if this post is in correct spot!

• Please log in to reply

gunn1

gunn1

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
It is time for me upgrade my work laptop. Currently I have a Acer Aspire 5532,AMD 64 processor TF-20(1.6 Ghz),ATI radeon HD3200 graphics up to 1408MB hyper memory, 15.6 HD LCD,3 GB memory,160 GB HDD, Acer Nplify 802.11b/g draft-N.

There has been little I have asked of it that it has not done(great inexpensive laptop)and it still works well today.

I am looking for something faster with a larger screen which is as dependable as the 5532 has been.

The laptop spends most of its life in my work truck on a mount plugged in to a inverter and all in one printer,scanner.

Just from me starting to look around, two lappys that "look" apealling are Acer Aspire AS5742-6475 (17.5 monitor) and a Fujitsu (18" monitor)

Any experience with these computers? Reliability?,Ect. what would your suggestions be?

Thank you very much.

Advertisements

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
A couple of things ...
No I have never worked with either of those two laptops but... with any laptop that will be working on the road ( and I say this as a tech who worked for 8 years with a LEA you will want to replace the HDD of any laptop you have with a SSD, they are much more durable when working on the road, and their prices have come down signifigantly. and since the HDD is almost always the slowest part of any computer trading it out for a SSD will help preformance quite a bit.

Since you have had good success with the ACER, and it has recieved some very good reviews especially for its price range ... I would say go with that.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2381438,00.asp

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I have supported Fujitsu at work and found them to be reliable. I find that the build quality is better than Acer. If available, take a look at Asus laptops. they are pretty good as well. With any notebook, as long as you take care of it, it should last you a while. An SSD would be a nice option to look at as an upgrade for performance and reliability. Sounds like you have a nice setup in your truck.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thank you both for your comments.

Although I have not had any experience with a solid state drive, the thought is very appealing to me.

Are they really that much faster? What size SSD would be comparable to say a 6 GB running @ 7200rpm?

The Fujitsu looks nice but I need to find a place that sells it so I can put my hands on it before making a decision.(Although I like Acer for some reason)

Thanks for the kind words about my truck/office and Thank you for your help, any other words of wisdom?

Gunn1

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Heres the fujitsu I am interested in LIFEBOOK® NH570 Notebook, any comments?

Schutzengel

Schutzengel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
you cannot compaer the two ... it isnt a fair fight
in capacity a platter drive will win every time....

in speed and durability SSDs hands down I use both in my desktop

I have 2 SSDs in a RAID 0 as my boot drive(s) and I use a 2TB platter drive for high cap data storage

currently SSDs are relatively "Expensive" for their size. but in a situation like yours they can be invaluable... all it would take is one hard
bump the right way to cause a head crash and blow up your platter based drive... most platter drives cannot take more than about 75Gs while this may seem like alot it is about
the equivalent of a 3 ft fall to a hard surface. while SSDs can withstand inexcess of 1500Gs thats 200X the force of a platter based drive... and even cheap SSDs have a performance level that will put the most expensive platters to shame.

I am not saying it is a have to but it is something to think about