Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help replacing my laptop screen!

• Please log in to reply

abenov20

abenov20

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CS110E and the screen is going out on it. I'm trying to find a replacement screen but everywhere I look it's like they're speaking Greek! If you need further information just tell me how to get it and I'll provide it asap! I really need to do this quickly I'm a photographer and need my computer to edit my photos.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi abenov20,
The laptops screen details http://www.notebook-...--1-p-7269.html as long as your replacement screen matches the above specs you will be fine, a cautionary note be sure any replacement has the back-light/inverter included.
Before you go to the trouble and expense of replacing the whole screen can you describe what you mean by "the screen is going out on it" as there are other possibilities for your display issue, bad back-light/inverter, the MB to screen video ribbon being damaged or not connected correctly or a flaky video chip.
Can you connect the laptop to an external screen via the VGA port to see if you get a stable display, you may need to toggle between screens by using the Fn and one of the F1 - F12 keys, possibly the F5 key.

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I haven't tried connecting it to an external monitor. The screen is literally going out. At first it started freezing and getting lines across it but when I would reposition it then it would correct momentarily. Then I noticed if I was pinching the top left corner it was fine. So I put a clamp on it, but now if the clamp gets moved then it freezes or it's like the screen slowly drains of color and the whole thing turns white.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I haven't tried connecting it to an external monitor

Can you do this 1st as it will help eliminate the video chip as the culprit, what you have described suggest a bad or badly connected video ribbon, here is a video showing an example repair

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am replying to you now with the laptop connected to the external monitor. There is absolutely no problem with the appearance. As for the ribbon I am not sure but was thinking it was something that is located at the top left corner of the laptop beings that as long as it is clamped it works just fine. I don't know my laptop anatomy so I don't know what is located up there but as long as I have the clamp on the screen it works as soon as I take it off everything freezes or goes white. I looked up the inverter you mentioned me needing to make sure came with the screen that looks like what I saw at the top of the screen when I took it apart. Could this be causing this type of problem? Thank you so much for your time I greatly appreciate it!!

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm doing some more research and I think it could possibly be the circuit board that is located at the top of my screen?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You would be surprised how many people have similar display issues caused by poor connections, bad video ribbons and dust/dirt http://www.geekstogo...screen-problem/

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thought I would show you some pics. This is with the clamp on. 1 Clamp on.jpg This is with the clamp off just a few seconds. 2 Clamp off few seconds.jpg And this is with the clamp off a little longer the screen slowly turns white. 3 Clamp off a little longer.jpg

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
And these are of the back of the screen with the shell off.Back of screen.jpg Back of screen (2).jpg Back of screen (3).jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you checked the condition of the video ribbon and that both ends are connected securely, disconnect and then reconnect the ribbon.

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have not done so. I will take it apart again and try to clean it out and check the ribbons.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok, good luck.