Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio

• Please log in to reply

lamptable

lamptable

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,when I use Skype video call the person on the receiving computor tells me that my voice is breaking up and very crackly,any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.
lamptable

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Open Skype
Click Tools
Click Audio settings.
Make a test call.
If the playback of the audio is then distorted
adjust microphone settings as required.
If still no good, click the link re further advice re audio,
See my screenshot pls.
If the Test is OK
Make another Skype call to a different contact and ascertain if they have the same problem. This will eliminate a fault on the one receiving contact.

If you still have problems test the microphone without Skype that is Control Panel, Sounds and Audio devices. Voice Test hardware.
See other screenshot pls.
ALSO PLS SEE THIS
http://www.skype.com...es/sound-setup/
If that test is Ok - without using Skype
Pls Go Start
Right click My Computer, click properties and on the general tab post the speed of your processor and the amount of ram.

Also pls open Skype. click Help, click about skype - which version pls.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 09:39 AM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
The other thing to bear in mind is what is your internet access? Dial-up? Cellular? ADSL? If you're a dial up, Skype WILL always break up, (try just using the chat window and type messages back and forth). Here in SA, even video calls will drop for some clients after about 10 minutes, (has to do with the allowed bandwidth we have here, although it has improved since the new fiber optic cable was installed)...

Hope this helps...

lamptable

lamptable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for reply Macboatmaster,when I test my voice with the Skype test it is okay but with the voice test in sounds and audio devices my voice breaks up and seems to get stuck and keeps repeating itself with a hollow sound,not good at all.And when I click on volume in sound playback I get a Windows error box with the message Windows can not execute SNDVOL EXE use add/remove programs to install.Also when I go to system tools and entertainment it says empty but I was told volume control should be there.Thanks for help

lamptable

lamptable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Mark D,I am on ADSL2

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sounds more like your sound system needs attention. What's the MB and XP level? (Service PAck 2, 3?)

lamptable

lamptable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Mark D,I have service pack 3 installed,but on a friends advice I uninstalled Audio Device on HD Audio Bus and when I restarted my computor this device now has a large yellow question mark and when I searched for the driver the wizard was unable to find one so another problem
lamptable

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

uninstalled Audio Device on HD Audio Bus

that was not the best move

What's the MB

You did not answer the question from MarkD

If the computer is branded go to the manufacturers site ie: Dell etc.

If it is not branded go to the motherboard site.

Install the chipset drivers.
Do NOT FLASH the BIOS, that is under the heading BIOS on either site.

Then on the same site install any updates for the Sound and Graphics, or if separate cards on a non branded computer install from the site for those.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 March 2011 - 06:49 AM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Sorry been a bit busy with a project. As Macboatmaster says, you will now need to find the sound drivers to re-install. If your PC isn't a name brand, you may have to do some digging to find out what the motherboard is. Some MB's will flash their name and model when you 1st start up.

Do you know if you have an Intel or AMD processor? On the bright side, this is definitely causing your Skype audio problem though. Posted Image

lamptable

lamptable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster and Mark D, the computor is a Pryon from Harvey Norman,a dead loss in the 18 months that I have owned it a new motherboard a new video card and a new case have been installed,under warranty thank goodness.The Pryon website has no usefull information at all.The motherbord is a Gigabyte model G3IM-ES2L ver.XX but I could not find a driver for that version on the Gigabyte website.Conputor has Intel processor.
Lamptable

Edited by lamptable, 12 March 2011 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
It took awhile,, but I think this is where you want to go..

GA G3IM-ES2L

This is the Rev x board. The only way I could find it was using the MB chipset method. For some reason the model number doesn't work with the simple search...

Just choose your op system and download the sound drivers, (you may want to grab some of the others as well if you can't find the driver cd)..

Hope this helps...

Edited by Mark D, 13 March 2011 - 01:13 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
May I add, that the site offers a scan with driver agent. My advice do not bother, most of these programs tend at times to offer the wrong drivers.
Always get them from the manufacturers site as per the link MarkD has sent you -Good findPosted Image
or from the computer manufacturers site

lamptable

lamptable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you Mark D and Macboatmaster for your efforts to help me,it seems I have been wasting your time as I saw the guy who reinstalled Windows and he told me that he thought there might have been a conflict between the new video card he installed and the sound card so he disabled the video card sound and thats why the wizard could not find drivers.And as for the bad audio on Skype I think it must be the rceiving computors fault as I Skyped my brother in England and he said the sound was perfect.Thank you once again.
lamptable

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Make another Skype call to a different contact and ascertain if they have the same problem. This will eliminate a fault on the one receiving contact.

Pleased its sorted - BUT my post 2.

lamptable

lamptable

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry I did not get back to you with the questions you asked,the computor is an intelR Core 2 Duo CPU,[email protected],2.67GHz 2.75GB of RAM
and Skype ver. is 5.1.0.112
lamptable

Edited by lamptable, 14 March 2011 - 01:37 AM.