Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Protection recommendations

• Please log in to reply

groch

groch

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Hello Heir
My name is Richard Groch. You have helped me twice before with infected computers. I have purchased a new computer. You had recommended a layered antivirus approach using Avast, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. Are these still your recommendations?
By the way, I also have been fascinated with the reports I have been reading in the New York Times regarding the Stuxnet Worm. I thought of you and your network of helpers and what the scuttlebutt was amongst professional antivirus people.
Thank you in advance.
Rich Groch

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Hi Richard

Unfortunately we aren't allowed to give any advice regarding malware protection or removal on any of the Windows, Aplications or Hardware forums.
Only the malware team are allowed to do that and this is where thay hang out: http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

If you read the Malware & Spyware Cleaning Guide at top of that page, you may see some recommendations without even having to post.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 March 2011 - 08:46 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Unfortunately we aren't allowed to give any advice regarding malware protection or removal on any of the Windows, Aplications or Hardware forums.

We can suggest a malware group of programs to the OP but we cannot assist in the removal any infection.
The suggested combination varies depending on the person you ask groch.
I myself use the following combination of programs
  • Avast anti virus
  • Malwarebytes for Malware
  • SuperAntiSpyware for spyware
  • Windows Firewall

Some will suggest Avira for your AV and Comodo for your Firewall.
A lot of us are also suggesting MSE AKA Microsoft Security Essentials.
All the programs I listed are free and use a lot less system resources which will slow your system.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Actually, phillipcorcoran, if you review this subforum you'll see that many people have asked for advice on protection programs, and it's not forbidden. It is forbidden to help with malware removal. The Malware and Spyware Cleaning guide has no suggestions on prevention and protection, only on the steps that should be taken to create a post in the malware forum.

groch, this thread provides a lot of useful information, but let me give you my two cents worth.

Avast is an excellent product that does a good job of detecting newer exploits - it's highly recommended by many of the experts at this site. Some people dislike it's notifications, however. If you try it and find them annoying, I would also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's what I use, an admin and ScHwErV of this site also recommend and use it. It's also free; since it has no paid option, you'll never get nagged to upgrade.

Spywareblaster and Spywareguard are also both recommended products to protect against certain malware ever getting installed on your PC. If you want additional protection, try MBAM. Although the free version doesn't offer real-time protection, it can be used as an on-demand scanner which you can run to check for the presence of malware.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SNAP :D :D

savage24x

savage24x

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I, for one, actually recommend AVG Anti-Virus free edition. It works great and removed multiple trojan horse's of my own and many malware and rootkits.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I've found ESET node32 (antivirus) and Comodo (firewall) seems to be a good combination and use them both on my XP and Win7 O/S.
AVG free I've found to be fine for XP not so good on 7.
Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware both seem to work well although recently I removed them from XP as my boot times were slowing considerably and removing them seemed to help.