Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't open any files

• Please log in to reply

loboohio

loboohio

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I downloaded a media player from the web because windows media player wouldn't allow me to view a web cam. It was supposed to play 99% of all media without additional plug ins. It turned out to be no better so I went to add remove files and uninstalled it. There were also one or two additional icons placed on my desktop, and I uninstalled the programs associated with those....I THOUGHT.

When I closed out of the control panel I found all my desktop icons had changed to those generic file icons. When I click on anything it says windows doesn't know what program created the file...etc. I then went to start menu and tried opening system restore from the program list and got the same result. Nothing will open on either desktop or program list.

Can anyone help??

Edited by loboohio, 07 March 2011 - 12:35 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I downloaded a media player from the web

Which one pls

POST that reply first. pls it may effect how we proceed.,
Pls wait for me to reply before proceeding as below.

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
  • Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
  • If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
  • Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
  • At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
  • Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 01:14 PM.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
playitall

http://www.freesoftm...om/mediaplayer/

But I don't think that created the problem. I believe it was when I uninstalled one of the additional programs (music download programs etc) and either uninstalled a file it shared with a system file, or mistakenly uninstalled a needed program.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sure it did not, but I was hoping for a clue of what you may have deleted.
YOU HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED to unistall windows media player have you. It actually plays a far larger part in windows than just media player.

Did you just individually uninstall whatever you thought was right.
Did you use control panel add and remove programs etc.
Pls try your best to tell me exactly what you did.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I went to start, control panel, add/remove programs, selected playital. There were then two options of what to uninstall...I don't remember what they were, but I selected both.

The additional one I uninstalled was the music download program that came in the download along with the playyitall. I was sure I got the correct program but I wonder if either of those I deleted shared a file with a system file.

No I did not attempt to uninstall windows media player.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Firstly that site SoftJo.com - does not have a good reputation.
I have just explored it - safely, and its reputation is no support for the product and no contact in case of difficulty.
Too late now, but never use that sort of offered software.

Try please the solution I offered.
You access Safe Mode and boot to the admin account.
It MAY WELL NOT work.

Do you have the XP installation CD - do not worry I am not thinking of a reinstall

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes I have my original Windows CD.

Yeah, I was afraid I might run into a problem with restore. I tried to use it a few times in the past and it said it was unable to restore to any of the dates I selected. Never found out why.

By the way, most of the icons and programs I click on that tells me windows is unable to open this file without knowing what program created it, then tells me the file type is rundll32.exe, if that helps.

I will reboot now and follow your instructions. Will check back later...provided I haven't destroyed my computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I take it by this comment

Yeah, I was afraid I might run into a problem with restore. I tried to use it a few times in the past and it said it was unable to restore to any of the dates I selected. Never found out why.

that you mean before this player download and attempted uninstall

Your present problems, although they MAY have been caused by your deletion of some files, has all the hallmarks of registry corruption.
PLEASE TELL ME THAT you HAVE NOT been using a registry cleaner, booster, make my computer go faster program.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 02:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and go to line 4 and get the Repairs Icon Veiw registry fix.

Using the below instructions run the vbs file.

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

If this does not work then right click on the new file and then click on merge.
Allow it and then you may have to reboot for it to take affect. Let us know if it works.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not think my safe mode access to restore is going to wrk before we try a "Fix" by way of a batch file download for the registry I think we will run a chkdsk and a system file checker.
I never like running batch files on the registry until I have done that.
Pls post back and I will give you the instructions.

NB
JUST NOTICED AFTER coming back to check if you had posted that rshaffer61 - moderator is now on the thread.
You are in good hands.
I will take a back seat..

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well when I followed those instructions it says "system unable to find the specified path".

No I haven't downloaded any of those fix everything programs. Once some time ago I downloaded a free program like that but it was from a trusted site like pchousecall, then uninstalled it because unless you bought it, it wouldn't repair anything. But that was probably two years ago.

FYI, I have downloaded on my pc;

McAfee

Malwarebytes

Superantispyware-premium

Windows Washer

To update: In addition to windows not being able to open files rundll32.exe, it also can't open any file extensions .lnk

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I will take a back seat.

:D
Don't you dare take a back seat. I was only offering another way as this is a known issue and the fix seems to work in almost every case.
I'm here to offer help for you Macboatmaster so please don't think I'm taking the topic as it is yours and you lead the assistance.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I clicked on the repair icon view and just got a white page with this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics]
"Shell Icon BPP"="16"
"Shell Icon Size"="32"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Am I just supposed to restart in safe mode and paste that link in at the DOS prompt? I am technologically disadvantaged so please pardon my ignorance.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61

I did not mean - withdraw - I am always grateful for support especially YOURS.

loboohio

Please insert the XP CD, if necessary entering setup on F2 to change boot device priority to the CD.
However try it first booting with the CD in.
If your priority is already so set it will boot to that

When it does so PLEASE ensure that you are entering RECOVERY CONSOLE and not proceeding with an installation.
That is the REPAIR using recovery console - press R.

The password is the admin password try it blank first.
If that is not successful enter your password.

When you are in recovery console
type at the command prompt
"chkdsk /r"
without quotes and note space please between chkdsk and /r.

See this for clarification
Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 02:40 PM.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I appreciate you both for the time you are taking to help me. Thank you very much.