Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't open any files

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
After the screnshot in my last post you then have this one and after selecting the windows, which in your case will most very likely be the only one you then type the command I sent you. That is a check disc for errors.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On that post from the Moderator - rshaffer61 you were to click on the word HERE in blue it is
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

also here now. on the link above.

If you have started the chkdsk pls continue it DO NOT INTERRUPT IT.

if you have not started it pls do as rshaffer asked

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK I'm back. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I click on F2 it takes me to the BIOS. So I changed the boot device there and exited saving changes. It then just continued to load windows. Isn't it supposed to go to a DOS prompt so I can type in chkdsk /r?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See my earlier post please re how to enter the recovery console with the image
To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.
The image - the first one you need is on post 14.

HOWEVER PLEASE READ POST 17 - if you have NOT started this chkdsk pls do as rashffer asked and I clarified where to click for you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 03:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the above from Macboatmaster does not work then try this HERE to rebuild the icons.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Just wanted to check back in with an update. Boy did i ever open a can of worms. First of all it seems my Cd rom drive has gotten particular about what it will read. Got a copy of XD from a friend. Trying to use recovery console but it's asking for a password and I can't remember what I used. have tried a long list of passwords I've used in the past..haven't gotten the right one. Is there a way to gain access and reset password?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you never set up a password then leave it blank and just click Enter

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm afraid i did, but i'll go back and try again. TY BBL.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried just clicking enter without a password and that's incorrect also. I have tried repeatedly to figure out what password I chose to no avail.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without the password this step will not be able to be performed.
Try the instructions I outlined in my post about the reg fix for the icons.

Advertisements

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm not able to open or run any files or programs except IE. I tried right clicking and saving target as but I can't open them. I don't see "merge" anywhere. Looks like I'm running out of options. If i need a password to run the restore console would i need one to format the HD?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You shouldn't need a password if you are not using the recovery console. It is needed for that because you would be making system wide changes. Formatting and reinstalling doesn't need a password.
If it becomes a problem then we can get a linux live cd to do the data you want to save and then format using it. Then you would have to reboot and start the reinstallation from there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this first to see if it works.
Please download the file located HERE to somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: To work correctly, the script will close and restart the Windows Explorer shell. This will not harm your system. Continue?. If you don't notice any change immediately when it's done, reboot your computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other option is to do what is called a Parallel Installation This would save all your data and you can then just move everything over following the instructions below. You can try this if the above will not work.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

loboohio

loboohio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Finally I'm 75% of the way to a complete restore of my pc thanks to all of your help. I had to return and reread rshaffer61's and Macboatmaster"s posts a few times but at least I can use my computer.I never did use the recovery console because of the password issue. What's puzzling me is that when I go to users in the control panel it doesnt look like there ever was a password as it prompts to create one rather than change it. but if there wasn't why wouldn't it let me just click enter and continue?

Anyway I got some of my icons back and working, the ones that are programs. Icons that are links to web sites however wont work. I resent some to desktop and still they are unresponsive when clicked on. Can you direct me to a fix for that problem?

Edited by loboohio, 08 March 2011 - 02:40 PM.