Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 02:47 PM.
Can't open any files
Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:43 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:53 PM
also here now. on the link above.
If you have started the chkdsk pls continue it DO NOT INTERRUPT IT.
if you have not started it pls do as rshaffer asked
Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:28 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:35 PM
To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
- When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
- If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
- When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.
HOWEVER PLEASE READ POST 17 - if you have NOT started this chkdsk pls do as rashffer asked and I clarified where to click for you.
Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 03:38 PM.
Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:44 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:43 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:57 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:13 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:20 PM
Try the instructions I outlined in my post about the reg fix for the icons.
Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:00 PM
Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:21 PM
If it becomes a problem then we can get a linux live cd to do the data you want to save and then format using it. Then you would have to reboot and start the reinstallation from there.
Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:29 PM
Please download the file located HERE to somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: To work correctly, the script will close and restart the Windows Explorer shell. This will not harm your system. Continue?. If you don't notice any change immediately when it's done, reboot your computer.
Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:31 PM
Parallel Installation of Windows XP
Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
- At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
- Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
- With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
- Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
- To continue setup using this partition, press C
- Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
- To use a different folder, press Esc
- Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.
Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:39 PM
Anyway I got some of my icons back and working, the ones that are programs. Icons that are links to web sites however wont work. I resent some to desktop and still they are unresponsive when clicked on. Can you direct me to a fix for that problem?
Edited by loboohio, 08 March 2011 - 02:40 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users