Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless Mouse+keyboard combo

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hello :D

I recently bought a new mouse, and have run into a slight problem. My previous mouse was bought as a combo with my keyboard. both are wireless, and both run off the same wireless hub thing.

Something similar to this:
http://www.logitech....os/devices/6541
but my model is older/no longer on the website.

So anyways, the mouse was dying, but they keyboard is still fine. So I bought a new mouse, and I can't seem to get the new mouse, and my old keyboard to work at the same time :D. If I plug in the new mouse, my keyboard stops working. And if I swap in the old mouse, it starts working again.

Any suggestions :S?

thanks,

-Adam

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Hi Zylocks
Have you paired the keyboard and mouse together by pressing the connect buttons on the bottom of both the mouse and keyboard, it may take a couple of goes to get them paired.

EDIT:

and both run off the same wireless hub thing.

This will also have a connect button on the base.

Edited by phillpower2, 07 March 2011 - 02:22 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Yea I did the connect thing for the keyboard. My new mouse is a wired one so it doesn't need to be paired.

This SHOULD be able to work right? I'm just encountering some random problem along the way?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Never encountered using a wireless keyboard with a wired mouse Im afraid.
Is the mouse the USB type that has the PS2 adapter on the end and if so will it work in a USB port.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I'm not sure I know what a PS2 adapter is.

It is however able to connect to a USB port (although when I do the keyboard stops working).

Yea I know... the combo that I want to have is pretty weird, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. My keyboard works fine (normally, when I don't have my new mouse plugged in), so why should I have to buy a new keyboard just because I got rid of the old mouse.

Blarg!

*edit* I added a sweet calvin picture :D

Edited by Zylocks, 07 March 2011 - 03:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
A PS2 adapter allows you to connect a USB connector to the ordinary mouse or keyboard port on the rear of the computer.
What is the make and model of the present mouse?

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Here is the new mouse I have

http://store.razerzo...goryId.35208800

The mouse does not have a ps2 adapter thing, BUT it is a USB mouse. So it connects into the USB port as opposed to the old school mouse port. I think that answers what you asked?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Can you loan an adapter to see if it works ok in the rear mouse port.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hrm. I could give that a try, but it sure wouldn't be any time soon, so I wouldn't be able to update you on the matter until a couple of days. Just a curiosity question, why do you think it would work in the old port as opposed to the USB port?

*edit* ok, someone else also suggested a try a kb/usb converter. they also mentioned it could have something to do with the drivers. I have not updated the drivers for my new mouse yet because I have to use my old mouse for the time being to use my keyboard. Do you think I should try updating them (in fear that they may mess up my old mouse)?

Edited by Zylocks, 07 March 2011 - 06:34 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
lewl.. I have found a temporary solution.

If I plug both mice in, they keyboard works. So I'll just keep the wireless mouse plugged in for now..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
If it gets you through until you can try an adapter and it causes no conflicts whats the harm.
A work around for others to try so thanks for posting the update :D