Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing and going to sleep

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If there is still no improvement please clean boot it.
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Use the manual method pls
TAKE CARE do not proceed beyond step 3.
If you do the additional steps you will delete all your restore points.

Advertisements

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Ok, done.
Memory usage was already set for programs.
On virtual mem, it was set for custom, I reset to system managed size and re-booted.
Very slowly.
I think my system is more stable...still a little slow, though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did you happen to notice what it was set at on custom.
Would you now pls clean boot it. as per 16. Pls note my CAUTION on that.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I think custom was set somewhere between 753 - 15000.
I clean booted, all services are still disabled.
I have not crashed, but things still seem a little slow.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off shortly.
If it has a noticeable difference on clean boot, which is in many respects similar to Safe mode as it loads a minimal set of start up items and processes.
then you have something which is either conflicting with another application or simply too much on the computer by way of itmes loading - NOT only of course the startup items, for the amount of ram you have.
I am always hesitant to appear critical in anyway of someones setup, but you do have to face the fact that more ram is about the cheapest performance improvement you can make.
HOWEVER that is for the time being a matter we can leave.

Please do as follows and either I will pick the thread up later today, about 1800 UK time it is 0120 now., or someone else online will come in to take over.

PLEASE RETURN TO NORMAL BOOT BEFORE RUNNING THIS>

http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

Please download autoruns from the above link
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 07:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re - RETURN TO NORMAL BOOT
This is how - presume you saw it on the Microsoft article

Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state
After you used the clean boot to resolve your problem, you can follow these steps to configure Windows XP to start normally.
  • Click Start, and then click Run.
  • Type msconfig, and then click OK.
    The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
  • Click the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I am not opposed to getting more ram, however, I have not been placing any unusual demands on this computer. If anything, I have gotten rid of many of the programs that I never use. My hard disk is three quarters empty and I am not doing any demanding gaming or multiple high demand programs.

I ran Autoruns and deleted several files not found.

Thanks for your help and patience thus far. I will check for replies at a later time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The free space on the hard drive, which was one of the first matters Ilooked at when I read your post does not really have a lot to do with ram.
That motherboard as you probably know can take 4Gb.
Irrelevant as 32 bit xp will only see 3.2Gb but an increase would make a tremendous difference you know.
See this at your leisure
I will have a look at your autoruns and post back if no one else has picked it up before I return.

Avast issues updates every day, so your first boot in the day will be slow, if you have Avast configured for auto-update.
Always pls check the Avast in the taskbar as if it is updating, NEVER run another application or browse while it is doing so.

Here is the link to check your ram situation.
I do not suggest of course you have to use Crucial even if you went down the ram route.
However their scanner will show you what config you have ie: 2 x 256Mb and what you can have.
http://www.crucial.c...625dba8b624f9e6

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SIGNED OFF.
Good night to you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I know I said I had signed off but I have just had aquick look at your autoruns.

1. Do you still have Panda anti-virus on there, you have an entry for it, I think it is just the remains.
Check your Add/remove program for any Panda entries.

2. Is that SAS the free edition, that does not provide real time protection. However the paid version does and you should NOT run it WITH AVAST - ie mean actually running in real time.

3. Cyberlink and NERO
and all the add-ons, codecs connected with them will tremendously slow down your booting.
In respect of Cyberlink, depending on which aspects you use it for
VLC player will play more or less anything and is compared with Cyberlink - minute.
http://www.vlcmediaplayer.net/

I appreciate it is not a question of disk space and if you can set Cyberlink so that no part of it runs, until you commission it then you should so so,.

Have a look at your own autoruns., you may be surprised to see just how much is running with cyberlink.

AVAST
If you are using the free edition you have Avast 5.
AVAST 6 is the current version Free Antivirus 6

HOWEVER with your ram if that is the free AVAST I would uninstall it ALL and download Microsoft Security Essentials.
I think I can assure you, that good as Avast is, MSE is better for your system.
Please see this from Geeks to Go
http://www.google.co...UNhEp_MtuP0hZLQ

Microsoft Security Essentials: - Recommended!
Click Here for Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials is 100% free. Free download, free updates, and advertising free. There isn't even a paid option available. Don't let the price fool you, it's a great offering. Based on their former OneCare Antivirus, and utilizing a unified detection database shared with their Forefront enterprise security product, it's feature complete, with great definitions. Above all, it uses fewer system resources than any other antivirus tested (free or paid). Simple to install, easy to use, runs silently in the background. Compatible with Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista/Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. Many languages offered.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 March 2011 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have NOW gone offline.
Pls post for me how it is and which part of my last you have carried out.
Good night.
Enjoyed it.
Hope you have seen some improvement.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
SAS is free version, so it is not on in background.
I deleted Cyberlink and Nero...never use them.
I deleted the autoruns.
I got rid of the Panda remains.
Avast was free version, I deleted it and downloaded MSE.
While updating definitions, system froze up and had to hard boot.
It is now downloading definitions again in the background.
I think the system is a little more stable, however, it seems like there is some kind of RAM problem that
never existed. Simple multi tasking seems to be stressing the system. That never happened. I was always able to listen to Jango in the background of whatever I was doing, downloading, word processing, running other programs, etc., Never a problem. Now, if I am doing other tasks, Jango is stuttering and slowing down.
I have to go to work, but I will check back later. Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I SEE NO REASON at this stage to suspect that a ram fault has suddenly occurred. Please would you go back and check that you did set Virtual mem on system managed size.. I realise you did that, but pls check again that you have not in error checked the NO paging file instead of system managed and also pls check that it was on C drive you were setting it. That is in the small window at the top.

If you still experience problems - then run the memtest as below.

NOTE Keep in mind, that a manual check is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with the option of removing one stick of ram and then trying and changing the sticks round to test.

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 March 2011 - 10:30 AM.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I reread my post and it was misleading. I didn't mean to suggest that a RAM problem developed from anything we've been doing, or that it suddenly occurred...this stuff has actually been happening all along--since these issues began. The symptoms, like the slow operation, all started around the time of one of the windows updates. It's also when the system began taking four minutes to boot up.

I will recheck the virtual memory when I get home.
I will run the memtest tonight and get back after it runs.

Edited by jones082, 08 March 2011 - 02:29 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you will wait to here from you.