Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual monitor question

• Please log in to reply

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am running a Dell optiplex GX620 4 megs of ram Windows Vista and have upgraded the video card to an ATI radeon 4300 HD. My question is what do I need to do to run dual monitors on this set up? I am pretty sure the radeon 4300 hd should support duals so do i just need a splitter or is there more to it? I do see another basic VGA port but I don't think this model had an internal card. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to check here first before I went out and bought s bunch of stuff I don't need. Thanks in advance

CW

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

I am running a Dell optiplex GX620 4 megs of ram Windows Vista ...

4 Megs of RAM!?!? I hope that's a typoPosted Image

Instructions:
1. Take a look at your computer and make sure it has two video outputs for monitors. There are several different types of outputs, such as HDMI or DVI, with the most popular being VGA. But as long as your computer has two monitor outputs, you should be good to go

2. Make sure your monitor input cables match the output on the PC. If you have two VGA monitors and your computer has one VGA and one DVI output, you won't be able to connect your second monitor. If your monitor outputs don't match, adapters can be bought at an electronics store (Usually fairly cheap)

3. Connect both monitors to the PC. Make sure the cables are screwed or snapped into the outputs snugly to ensure a good connection. Plug both monitors into an electrical outlet. Turn the computer and the monitors on.

4. When Windows Vista starts up, the main monitor will show your desktop. Vista may recognize the second monitor automatically and bring up the display settings dialogue box. If your second monitor has a blank screen, right-click on the desktop and click "Personalize." The personalization option screen will come up. Click on the "Display Setting" option, which is on the bottom of the list. This will bring up the display settings window.Posted Image
Personalization Window

5. If your second monitor is connected, the display window will show two monitors. Monitor 1 is your primary monitor (and should be the one you are looking at). Monitor 2 will be grayed out. Click on Monitor 2 and click on the check box that reads "Extend the desktop onto this monitor." Click "OK." Your second monitor should flicker and show a desktop background. You can now move open windows and icons across both monitors
Posted Image
Display Settings Window

Hopefully this answers your questions! Posted Image

chrisw1100

chrisw1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
thx got it resolved all it took was a dvi to vga adapter .. 2nd screen is up and working like a charm. thanks for the help.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
No worries mate! Posted Image