Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Technically Speaking...

• Please log in to reply

savage24x

savage24x

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Which browser takes up the least system resources and runs the fastest with a great GUI? Which browser has faster and more reliable and more compatibility with addons?

Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

Mozilla's Mozilla Firefox?

Google's Google Chrome?

I usually use firefox btw, but should i switch to Google Chrome or use my usually default IE? I use IE after an OS reinstall for a couple months, then switch to firefox eventually.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's all down to personal preference since the speed of a particular browser will vary from one PC to another, but I think it's a given that Chrome seems to be the king of speed at present. However, Chrome has some annoying omissions (no print-preview last time I looked, bookmarks access not to my liking).

All in all, it's Firefox for me (and believe me I've tried them all, including some you may not have heard of).
IE only has such a large user base because it's built in to Windows, not because of it's merits.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 09 March 2011 - 02:47 AM.

savage24x

savage24x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

It's all down to personal preference since the speed of a particular browser will vary from one PC to another, but I think it's a given that Chrome seems to be the king of speed at present. However, Chrome has some annoying omissions (no print-preview last time I looked, bookmarks access not to my liking).

All in all, it's Firefox for me (and believe me I've tried them all, including some you may not have heard of).
IE only has such a large user base because it's built in to Windows, not because of it's merits.

That's what I thought someone would answer... but Google Chrome seems to be a great browser nowadays... I'm using firefox. is it worth it to switch to Google Chrome? will i see a difference in performance?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can always install it and try without uninstalling FF. Most users will try several browser at a time before deciding which they like best.
Just don't make one your default till you have decided which to keep.

savage24x

savage24x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yep, i just tried out Google Chrome, but it has just a terrible UI...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Opera
Safari

These are two others out there right now.

savage24x

savage24x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Opera
Safari

These are two others out there right now.

Safari is used by mostly mac owners. and even most of them use Firefox. Opera... no one actually uses that anymore lol. i dont hear much about it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I myself have been using FireFox for the past 2 years. I have found the only thing I can't do with it is get the windows update from Microsoft.
I use IE simply for that and in my Win7 partition the Windows Update is already included with the control panel.

savage24x

savage24x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I myself have been using FireFox for the past 2 years. I have found the only thing I can't do with it is get the windows update from Microsoft.
I use IE simply for that and in my Win7 partition the Windows Update is already included with the control panel.

haha, thats exactly what i do!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it works I see no reason to try a different program.
In fact the new FF4 is out now in beta and it seems really nice.
Have you gone HERE and downloaded it?
You can install it to a different directory then your present FF is installed at and try it out.

savage24x

savage24x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i just wanted to know which browser ran the fastest and used the least system resources. and i have been using ff4 since the beta came out. LOVE IT!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I personally stay with FF because it has always been reliable.
To me it is faster and I haven't seen any problems with resources going down.

lewisje

lewisje

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Opera... no one actually uses that anymore lol.

Opera is my primary Web browser, it has maintained about 2% market share for a few years, and it's especially popular in Belarus and the Ukraine; it also has a reputation for being fast and light on system resources, although with the advent of extensions in Opera 11, it's just as easy to bog that browser down as Firefox or Chrome.

On the other hand, Opera is not yet multi-process, while Firefox separates out the plugin content, IE8+ separates the tabs, and Chrome does both of those and also separates out the extensions; multi-process browsers have an up-front memory cost but do end up being more stable, because if one thing (like a buggy extension or Flash content, or a tab with poorly-written Javascript) crashes, the whole browser doesn't crash.

Opera has introduced or popularized several ideas that later made it into other browsers, like integrated content-blocking (via the URL Filter file), tabbed browsing, Speed Dial, tab grouping, and that expandable menu button that Firefox 4 blatantly copied.
It also includes several things that most browsers require extensions for, without becoming huge and bloated, like Userscript support and IRC, BitTorrent, E-Mail, and USENET clients; the same could be said for its suite of developer tools (Dragonfly), but now Firefox is the only major browser that still relies on an extension (Firebug) to provide decent dev tools.

Additionally, Opera has tended to have the lowest number and severity of security vulnerabilities, and although maintaining the means of hardening it further (like a good ad- and malware-blocking URL Filter, and the Allblocker Userscript) cannot be done automatically, and sometimes it requires the browser to be closed and then re-opened, there's a reason why about 26% of malware authors themselves use Opera (over half use Firefox, for similar reasons...they don't want to get so easily infected via their own exploits).
(On the other hand, the real weak points are now in the plugins, and almost all live exploits use patched vulnerabilities, so keeping your Java, Flash, and Adobe Reader up-to-date is more important than anything else.)