Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of personal files

• Please log in to reply

keaki80

keaki80

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About a week ago when I logged into my account on my laptop a small box popped up telling me it was unable to find my personal files. It then froze and I turned it off. When I turned the computer back on everything had gone from my account that was personal and it had gone back to a Dell home-page, (mine was Yahoo.) I have lost all my photographs, the wallpaper, games, everything that I had personalised. My husbands account remains the same and was not affected.The only thing with the computer is that it appears to be a little slower than normal. We cannot do a system restore. We have tried to do a system restore on many dates and it says it was unable to do it and therefore nothing was changed. My husband says he'll take it to be fixed, but still hasn't and I thought I'd try something for myself, I don't have a clue about computers, so please help me if you can. Thank you.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There is a chance, although, it is not necessarily this, that you have acquired an infection.
The changing of the home page is one of the signs, together with the inability to access certain files.
Please go here and carefully follow the instructions
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 March 2011 - 08:23 AM.