Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound devices on Vista

• Please log in to reply

GregStars

GregStars

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Guys

I lost sound on my laptop the other day, I updated the sound driver and this worked fine but when I shutdown the laptop a booted it back up later in the day the sound was gone again, and over the icon in the system tray there was a red cross, hovering over it you get a message saying no audio output devices is installed, I have tried reverting back a couple days but this has not worked. I went to control panel and under sound it just says no devices installed and in device manager it only there is no bit for sound, video and game controllers. Please can somebody help

Cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi GregStars :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on sound card details would also help others to help you better.

GregStars

GregStars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Sorry this is Compaq v6500 laptop running Vista Home. I have seen that in the BIOS i need to check the sound card is not disabled but in the bios I cannot find anything about the sound card eather.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you added any new hardware or software previous to the issue occurring?
Do you have the installation CD that was provided with the laptop?
Check in the Control Panel > Programs and Features, is there any audio software listed?
If you have the installation disk and there is no audio software listed in Programs and
Features click on the Add Hardware Tab and use the Add Hardware Wizard to see if it detects
the audio chip, follow the on screen instructions.
If there is audio software in the Programs and Features list uninstall it and follow the
above steps, good luck and let us know how it goes.

GregStars

GregStars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nothing has been installed prior to issue, no disk was provided there is software there but trying to remove it northing happens not even asking for permission as vista normally does when u install or remove anything, noticed earlier that it seemed to pop back for a bit so i think it may be a connection issue with the hardware more then a software relating issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

noticed earlier that it seemed to pop back for a bit so i think it may be a connection issue with the hardware more then a software relating issue.

Ok, have you got or can you loan a set of PC speakers to plug in and try?

GregStars

GregStars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Have tried headphones and speaks but still does not work

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It would appear that either the onboard audio chip has failed or that the you do have a bad connection.
Opening up and repairing a laptop is a task best left to a Tech or a suitably competent person, consider
the easier option of using a USB audio card, there are plenty to choose from http://www.amazon.co...sl_8wg8bpz5zl_e

GregStars

GregStars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
BTW im a network security engineer, I was just trying to determin if any other users could think of any other issues that this could be cheers for the help though