Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Boot Failure, help for fix the problem or suggestions for bac

• Please log in to reply

MAGO in Chains

MAGO in Chains

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all

Hope anyone of you could help me please, I don't have good skills on computers. I have a problem with Windows Vista in my laptop, it cannot start. After I type my password to log in, the following error appears:

Windows Boot Failure
Press 'OK' to fix boot failure

2) When I press 'OK' to the prompt above, another window appears with the following message:

Disk Diagnostics
Windows Disk Diagnostics Tool will scan the system to identify performance issues

Check disk options:

Check hard drive sector

Check file system integrity

Start Cancel

3) When I hit the start button the following error message appears:

Windows detected a hard disk problem
A problem with the hard disk has been detected.
It is strongly recommended that you download and install the following certified software to fix the detected hard drive error.
Do you want to download the recommended software?
OK Cancel

4) When I select the 'Cancel' button it takes me back to step 2 (i.e. Disk Diagnostics error) and if I select the OK button - nothing happens, no more error messages and desktop is still empty, all black.

This same problem was posted on march 3, someone of you replied that post giving some steps for creating a bootable USB Drive. http://www.geekstogo...acked-computer/

I followed all the steps, I got the file OTL.txt (if you want me to post it, i'll do it per your request). I can access to my personal files using the USB drive as OS but I don't know which way to save them the best is, to backup my files, they are too heavy. I tried to use an external hard drive but the OS of the USB can't recognize it.
My plan was to save them first and then format my computer but maybe there's a way to fix Windows without formatting.

I'd really appreciate your help whether you could give a solution to fix the Windows problem or give me some advices to backup my files, I would need to spend too much time using a usb drive of 4 GB to try to save for mimimum 100 GB of my personal files.

Thanks and best regards!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
This sounds like what you are reporting:

http://deletemalware...oval-guide.html

Please post your OTL log.

Ron

MAGO in Chains

MAGO in Chains

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Ron

I found a solution already, I had to save my files through my 4GB usb, slow but effective lol. And then I had to format my laptop and install the OS again.

Thanks anyway, the link you gave me could work for futures infections.

Regards

Mario