Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't boot -- says setup cannot find req'd info

• Please log in to reply

sound-doc

sound-doc

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to get a Dell Dimension 4500 working again. Don't know whether it worked when last taken out of service. The keyboard and mouse had been lost, so I replaced them with a V7 USB multimedia keyboard/mouse combo. Then I tried to boot, and received errors about corrupted files. After using Bart PE to replace sevral files, and just getting more different error messages, I used the recovery console and ran chkdsk /r and those errors went away. But I started getting bluescreens complaining about checksum errors on various dll's. After replacing a couple of those using Bart PE, and just seeing the same error recur with a different dll, I used the Dell XP setup disk to repair the installation. Now I get an error message: "Setup can not access the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator." The Microsoft kb says this message -- except using "set" instead of "access" -- indicates non-XP-compatible hardware. I checked the MS compatibility site, and it did not find anything by the manufacturer V7. So I called the vendor, who assured me that the keyboard/mouse combo is XP compatible, although it may require a driver. The manufacturer's site says the unit is plug-and-play, and does not offer a driver. Any suggestions as to what may be the real problem with this computer? Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just as a suggestion try doing this with a PS2 keyboard till everything is setup again and then once you have windows up and running install the driver for the KB.
Shut down and then replace the kb with your new one and boot the system.
Does the error still happen then with ps2 kb attached?

sound-doc

sound-doc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks. That worked. Apparently what happened is that USB drivers are not loaded before the last step of the XP install, but that step requires kb/mouse input, and the computer doesn't know they are connected if they are USB devices.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep just as I thought. Once you loaded the drivers then everything should then boot correctly with the USB KB and Mouse.