Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP has been installing "1 of 3" for an hour now

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I turned my XP computer off. It says it is installing updates and will turn off automatically. But it has been installing 1 of 3 for an hour now, and nothing much seems to be happening. The orange light that flashes on disk activity just give a flash now and then.

I am getting the feeling it will be installing 1 of 3 forever. What do I do?

---------------------------------

After another 30 minutes it progressed to 2 of 3. It did that for 30 minutes, then quickly did 3 of 3.
All seems to be okay now, but I have never seen anything remotely like that before.

Edited by Tollerowner, 09 March 2011 - 05:31 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the late reply. Is the update still doing 1 of 3 now a hour later after your post above?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...sometimes those updates will take a long time to complete....for future reference ...never turn the power off when this happens or you can have all kinds of issues...let it set at least 8 hours before killing the power...