Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flickering programs

• Please log in to reply

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have just started to have some problems with some programs flickering, CS4, My Publisher, Lightroom. Doesn't seem to do it all the time but at times it's bad, doesn't seem to do it on open web pages. I've gone through and updated my drivers for my video card GeForce 9800 GTX and my two monitors Dell ST2410 which didn't seem to do anything. Changed my wireless mouse with another as I've read that it could be a problem- no help. Is there anything else I can try. This computer was just built last spring and worked fine up until last week. The temp. inside seem to be fine CPU 22 C and the system 26 C.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit i5 2.67 GHz
Asus P7P55D pro motherboard
GeForce 9800 GTX+
Dual Dell ST2410 monitors
8Gig ram

Thanks
John

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://kb2.adobe.com...4/kb404898.html

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the reply. Is this a fix for just the adobe stuff or will it fix the flicker in other programs other then adobe. From what I see this would be a fix if it was only a sc4 or cs5 problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry I do not understand it lists it as CS4 as well.

I think that is the first thing to try.

The other issue I would address is - it worked well until last week. - What has been installed, updated, changed since the.

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have uninstalled anything that was added in the last two weeks, no help. I unpluged one of the monitors, problem still there. When the program flickers it says at the top (not responding) and sometimes it flickers so that you can see the background picture. It seems to do it when I'm trying to do something with the mouse, move a picture(My Publisher) or do somekind of action in cs4. I have tried three different mouses, all micrsoft. Doesn't seem to be a monitor problem because I've hooked up one of them to my laptop and it works fine.

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is there any chance that if the pc case is right next to 4' power bar that it might have an affect on anything.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would not have thought so, as if it was electrical interference, I would have expected it to show all the time.
However try altering the screen refresh rate.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 05:22 PM.

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Tried to change the refresh rate which didn't help the problem. Movies and tv shows play fine, so can I rule out the vidieo card? The monitors play fine on a different computer so I can rule out the monitors I think.

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Something else I'e noticed and it might of done it before. If I have two programs open, one in each monitor and I grab one with the mouse and move it back and forth the other program in the other monitor will minimize to the toolbar. Is this normal.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The only other advice I can offer is as it was not too long ago, a system restore.
If it is caused by something that has been installed, then although you have uninstalled the actual program, utility etc.
The restore point should ensure that anything that remain is also - back to how it was before.

Regarding your last post, I honestly do not have an offer to make on it and in your interests it is best you wait for someone who may, have the answer.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey guys can I suggest something here. A restore back to before the issue started may work.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've tried the restore thing but can't find a point older then a week. I know there was a windows update a few weeks ago that I had to uninstall ( SP1 ) because it caused some other problems. Would uninstalling that have done someting.
So can I assume that because vidieos play fine that it isn't a video card problem and the monitors work fine on another computer they are fine and the problem is in a program or something else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I had to uninstall ( SP1 ) because it caused some other problems.

Are you saying you have no SP installed on your system right now?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

The only other advice I can offer is as it was not too long ago, a system restore.
If it is caused by something that has been installed, then although you have uninstalled the actual program, utility etc.
The restore point should ensure that anything that remain is also - back to how it was before.

rshaffer61
thks so much, for looking, I know how busy you are. I had in fact suggested that on my last post, before I asked you.

bug_n_67
Uninstalled SP1 -
If you had told me that I may have had different advice

I know there was a windows update a few weeks ago that I had to uninstall ( SP1 ) because it caused some other problems.

I think, what we NOW need to know is - what is a summary of all the problems YOU HAD and although SP1 was shown as installed, my recommend would be to install again, with anti-virus turned off and then list the problems, you THEN have.

I would certainly recommend that you reinstall SP1.
I believe I am right in saying that most of the reported problems after installing SP1 have been traced to driver issues.
Particularly on the sound and graphics.
This MAY help
http://support.micro....com/kb/2505743

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 March 2011 - 11:20 AM.

bug_n_67

bug_n_67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think it's just an update ( KB976932 ) 73.6MB. My laptop wants to down load it as well but I've been holding off.