Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Laptop Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

barrage

barrage

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello! I just got a brand new Vaio Laptop, opened a few hours ago and it just blue screened on me with this error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 24
BCP1: 00000000001904FB
BCP2: FFFFF880055BCED8
BCP3: FFFFF880055BC740
BCP4: FFFFF80002EAB42F
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\030911-30092-01.dmp
C:\Users\Gilad\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-36207-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft....88&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

-------------------------------

Should I be worried and is this a major issue? Or could it be due to some driver not being up to date or something like that? Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is that new take it back and have them exchange it.
Being less then a day you should have them exchange it or fix it there under warranty.

barrage

barrage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Is it a major issue...? This is the second laptop from them...I just exchanged it for this one...my friends haven't had issues with the laptop though...I'd really rather not have to deal with that process again...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this laptop loaded with XP, Vista or Win 7?

Lets try to see what the actual error is.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 09 03 2011
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 09 03 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

barrage

barrage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It's loaded with windows 7 home premium (64 bit), the VEW program says it cannot find the C:\VEW.txt file, what should I do? Also, thanks for your quick response.

-----------------------------

Sorry not used to having to right click programs and run as Administrator, here is the log.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 09/03/2011 7:12:01 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 12:50:50 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 35 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 12:50:33 AM
Event: 63 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll" on line 3. The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/03/2011 11:26:59 PM
Event: 35 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

'Application' Log - Information Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 2:41:15 AM
Type: Information Category: 0
Event: 754 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup
The Block Level Backup Engine service has stopped.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 2:34:22 AM
Event: 8224 Source: VSS
The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 2:31:15 AM
Event: 753 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Backup
The Block Level Backup Engine service has successfully started.

'Application' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 12:35:30 AM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 10010 Source: Microsoft-Windows-RestartManager
Application 'C:\Program Files (x86)\DDNi\Oasis\Delay.exe' (pid 1904) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 12:35:29 AM
Event: 10010 Source: Microsoft-Windows-RestartManager
Application 'C:\Program Files (x86)\DDNi\Oasis\Delay.exe' (pid 1904) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/03/2011 11:20:28 PM
Event: 1530 Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. DETAIL - 7 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005:
Process 2016 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005
Process 2776 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Content Folder Watcher\VCFw.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005
Process 2016 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
Process 2016 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
Process 2016 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
Process 2016 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005\Software\Policies
Process 2016 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Sony\VCM Intelligent Network Service Manager\VcmINSMgr.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1305684678-1094159709-2670012827-1005\Software

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 1:03:53 AM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 1:56:16 AM
Event: 7006 Source: Service Control Manager
The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error: Access is denied.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 1:35:53 AM
Event: 7030 Source: Service Control Manager
The ZoneAlarm Toolbar IswSvc service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 1:33:20 AM
Event: 7030 Source: Service Control Manager
The TrueVector Internet Monitor service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

'System' Log - Information Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 3:04:00 AM
Event: 7036 Source: Service Control Manager
The Windows Modules Installer service entered the stopped state.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 3:04:00 AM
Event: 7040 Source: Service Control Manager
The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from auto start to demand start.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 3:03:59 AM
Event: 7040 Source: Service Control Manager
The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start.

'System' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 1:38:40 AM
Event: 4001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig
WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 1:37:41 AM
Event: 1073 Source: USER32
The attempt by user Gilads-VAIO\Gilad to restart/shutdown computer GILADS-VAIO failed

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 10/03/2011 12:29:12 AM
Event: 4001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig
WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Edited by barrage, 09 March 2011 - 09:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When done with the above steps then do this.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

barrage

barrage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I've had two more blue screens...I'll try the things you suggest assuming it doesn't crash again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'll watch for your results. Good luck.

barrage

barrage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
My laptop is running the check disk ATM, 22% complete on stage 5 of 5. As for the next part I am not sure how to check if I have more than one ram module and how to boot with each individual one if so (Also is that part A or did you leave something out?)

I was also wondering could my laptop overheating cause a bluescreen? I had a dish towel under the laptop so it wasn't directly on the desk but could that have possibly caused it to create too much heat and not allowing it to vent which might cause a crash? Or would that not be the case?

Also I'm not sure if this is helpful but I use firefox with mcafee safe search and noscript, zone alarm (free version) for my firewall, avira AV (again free version) , spybot S&D with tea timer running and MBAM. Not sure if there are any compatibilty issues there but figured anything might help at this point...

Edited by barrage, 09 March 2011 - 11:25 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My laptop is running the check disk ATM, 22% complete on stage 5 of 5. As for the next part I am not sure how to check if I have more than one ram module and how to boot with each individual one if so (Also is that part A or did you leave something out?)

Run the program then :D

I was also wondering could my laptop overheating cause a bluescreen? I had a dish towel under the laptop so it wasn't directly on the desk but could that have possibly caused it to create too much heat and not allowing it to vent which might cause a crash? Or would that not be the case?

Could very well cause it to overheat for sure. :D

The last part we will check a different way

barrage

barrage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I don't have a blank cd that I can burn the program onto atm, is there a way to run it without using a cd?

Also the Check Disk didn't seem to find anything wrong, so nothing in that regard should be an issue...

Edited by barrage, 10 March 2011 - 12:45 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To Start Windows Memory Diagnostics from within Windows 7
  • Open the Start menu.
  • In the Start Menu search box, type mdsched and press Enter. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • Select the Restart now and check for problems option. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image
  • The computer will now restart, and you will see this screen next. (See screenshot below.
    NOTE: Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool will run the Standard test by default.

Posted Image

To Change the Memory Diagnostic Tool Options

A) Press F1. (See screenshot above)
    NOTE: If you have a multimedia keyboard, then you may need to press the Function (F-Lock) key for F1 to work.

B) Press the TAB key to switch between the option categories, and use the arrow keys to select the option. (See screenshot below)

Posted Image

C) When finished, press F10 to apply any changes you made to the options. (See screenshot above)
    NOTE: Press the Escape (Esc) key if you do not wish to make any changes to the options and return to the screen below step 4.

When the test is finished running, it will automatically restart the computer. (See screenshot below step 4)
    NOTE: If errors are found, the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool will attempt to determine which particular memory module in your computer is causing these errors. If that information is available, it will be stated in the results after you log on from the restart. If bad memory is found then you will need to remove that memory and replace it.

Published by Brink

barrage

barrage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It found nothing wrong with the memory, just finished the scan a few minutes ago. I just let it run the automatic standard scan, didn't change the options, let me know if you wanted me to do one of the other two options available.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah if you can run the advance or extended option it would set my mind at ease with the memory not being the issue here.