Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Two fans are not working and pc randomly shuts down

• Please log in to reply

jrsollas

jrsollas

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi, My computer has been shutting off at random times, and I am unable to restart normally. (I have to unplug power supply to pc, let it sit for a minute and then restart.) Upon further investigation, I notice that two of my three fans are not running (DC Brushless, model number ASB0912L) and (Bestc mdel number ATX 1956D B2). I would like to prepare for the fact that my pc may die on me, so I would like to know what the best options for me to backup my pc before I lose everything, and if this is something that a somewhat "partial literate" computer user can fix. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I would hate to lose everything, yet I am unsure what is necessary vs. encouraged to backup. I would love to try and fix the pc before any further damage is done. Thanks in advance :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
DC Brushless, model number ASB0912L seems to be the cpu fan and if that is not turning then I suspect either failure or it is clogged with dust.
Open the system and using a can of compressed air to blow the fins out.
Note: Do not allow the fins to spin freely while cleaning. Use a pencil or something small like this to hold the fans stationary while blowing them out. If this does not resolve the turning problem then a replacement fan is most likely needed. I found the exact model HERE for replacement.

Even more important is the Bestc mdel number ATX 1956D B2 as that seems to be the PSU. If that fan inside has stopped then try blowing it out also but in most cases I find this indicates a failing psu and replacement of the PSU is the only option. Exact replacement part found HERE

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Thanks so much for your quick response. We did try to use the compressed air to clean the fans, but to no avail. Both are still silent and there seems to be no power to either one of them. I would be happy to purchase the new fans that you mentioned, but I did run into one issue. The Bestec component cannot be released from its "home" because the cd and dvd drives are blocking it in from the other side. It seems like there are rivets holding those drivers in place, so is removal even possible? I will wait for your reply before I continue forward. Thanks again :D

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
p.s. Tried to check the DC Voltage from the board to the DC Brushless fan and we were getting a reading of 120V, yet the fan motor calls for 12 volts. Is this indicative of a bigger problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get me some good pictures of the PSU and the way it is secured to the case?
Most PSU's are secured by 4 screws on the back of the case. From there you disconnect all power connections to mobo and drives.
Take note what connections go where using a piece of tape to mark each connector where it goes and then matching the new psu connectors to their relevant spot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HERE is a good tutorial with pics showing how it is removed and replaced.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Thank you so much for the emails with picture tutorials. I am going to order both those fans today and I will take pictures shortly to show you the connection of the PSU. CAn we leave this thread open so that I may contact you once I receive the new fans for installation? Also, can you recomment a back up I should do, just in case the computer shuts down indefinitely? Thanks again for all you help and such prompt support :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't close threads in this forum section.
Also I'm not sure but you keep saying the two fans.
The first one is the only fan you need to replace.
The second is a power supply and includes the fan inside of it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

p.s. Tried to check the DC Voltage from the board to the DC Brushless fan and we were getting a reading of 120V, yet the fan motor calls for 12 volts. Is this indicative of a bigger problem?

Are you sure you have the meter set for DC and not AC?
I don't think there is any way you could get 120vac on the board. The only AC in the computer is to power the power supply. The power supply then supplies DC to the board and other components.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Are you sure you have the meter set for DC and not AC?
I don't think there is any way you could get 120vac on the board. The only AC in the computer is to power the power supply. The power supply then supplies DC to the board and other components.

Hi, thanks for checking into this. We used a DC voltage meter and held the two probes to two of the three prongs (on the DC Brushless) and we would get readings of 120 - 138. Again, I am quite the newbie at this, and we wanted to make sure there was power going to the mechanism, or id it was burnt out completely. I hope this info sheds some light as to what and where we were checking... Thanks again :D

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Thanks rshaffer61 for all of your help. I received both parts that you recommended and I had success with the Bestec PSU...so excited that I was able to install it :D Unfortinately, the DC Brushless that I purchased was a .08 amperage and I believe that I need .15 amperage. (There are three prongs on the original part, but the part that I ordered has only two prongs to fit correctly. Could that be the amperage difference account for a different part?) I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this stuff, but you have been a great help. I am up and running thus far, and I will wait to hear from you in regards to this part. HAve a great weekend and I look forward to hearing from you. Jennifer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you provide a pic of each fan and also was the original plugged into the motherboard or into a power connection from the psu?