Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks on boot up

• Please log in to reply

billbobthornton

billbobthornton

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all.

I'm hoping I've posted my question in the right part of the forum but I'm not sure. So sorry if this is in the wrong place.

My computer is not booting up properly. When I turn it on the screen locks during boot up (see image). My suspicion is that it is the graphics card but I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem.

I've tried clearing the BIOS with no success.

http://www.flickr.co...N03/5515261632/

Based on the photo, has anyone got any suggestions? Any help much appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi billbobthornton :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.
Looking at the picture provided it may be the GFX card including the drivers
a bad connection or possibly a heat issue.

billbobthornton

billbobthornton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi thanks for the reply.

Shuttle xpc SN95G5:

Nvidia nForce3 250 Ultra chipset
Socket 939 - AMD Athlon64/FX CPU
SilentX 240W power supply

The graphics card is a Nvidia Gforce 6600le.

Most times I swith it on it doesnt even start booting. Blank screen, no beeps, no noises and the fan whirring at full speed.

Its a pretty old computer now and I've already recovered the stuff I wanted off the hard drive. So it was more a case of it there was a relatively easy fix then great otherwise its a gonna.

Thanks again

billbobthornton

billbobthornton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I should also really proof read before posting

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
As there is no onboard video another AGP video card may be required for testing, at
this point do not try the present card in another computer in case it is bad and causes
damage.
The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following
safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal
part of the case.
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections
and that both ends are secure.
2: Remove the video card, blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, do the
same with the Ram sticks.
3: Make sure that all fans are working correctly, this includes the psu.
While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out any heat trapping
dust, clean all fans, if canned compressed air is used do not allow fans to spin freely
use something like a clean popsicle stick to hold them still and finally make sure that
all connections are secure.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not try another video card and/or
PSU if you have or can loan a known good one.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have seen some PCs with same problem.

Check the RAM and use 1 working RAM at a time.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager

billbobthornton

billbobthornton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried above, no dice.

Would need to order a new apg graphics card to see if thats the problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Regards, Chris

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Chris,

Have you check the monitor first?

Kind regards!
Bill
Tech Manager
www.PcTestCard.com

billbobthornton

billbobthornton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestion but its definitely not the screen. I've tested it and it's fine.

The computer simply isn't booting up. It doesnt make any of the usual boot up noises and the hard drive light never comes on.

I disconnected everything non essential and it has made no difference.

On a working computer, how would removing the graphics card affect the pc boot up? I just tryed that and it does exactly the same thing with the graphics card out. Could it be the mother board thats gone? Would a dead motherboard give these symptoms?

Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Unfortunately it could still be the GFX card, the Ram, the PSU or the MB Im afraid.
When the computer boots up normally do you get a single POST (power on self test) beep?
We need to know this to establish whether there is a case or MB speaker present.
If you do normally hear a single beep try the following test, remove the Ram stick/s and
then power up, if you get error beeps it may suggest the Ram is ok and the GFX card/slot
has the issue, this includes the possibility of the PSU not providing enough stable power,
this is why I suggested trying a known good PSU if you can, having yours tested by a tech
is another option, AGP cards are a thing of the past so a replacement may be expensive and
unnecessary if it is the PSU, if you cannot loan another AGP card try a standard pci type
(not pci-e).

On a working computer, how would removing the graphics card affect the pc boot up?

The computer would behave exactly as it is, when the system attempts to POST if it encounters
a problem component it simply aborts the boot up, dependent on the system you may get error
beeps or diagnostic leds.

Could it be the mother board thats gone? Would a dead motherboard give these symptoms?

Yes one of its components could, this includes bad Ram or GFX card slots for example.
Testing what you can is the only way to determine what is causing the issue with the free and
easiest options recommended that you try first.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I suggested the first time the RAM replacement since I have the similar issue.

I repaired the RAM chips and now working great.
May need to use alcohol and cotton stick to clean the RAM slot as well.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager
www.PcTestCard.com