Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsft .NET Framwork 3.5 SP1 install error

• Please log in to reply

irishmomx4

irishmomx4

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Trying to install third party software (Turbo tax) and it requires Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5... I have tried to install from the cd and directly from the Microsoft Windows .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 but error occurs during installation... I have seen blogs and comments to use cleanup kits as last resort...Not sure if this is last resort...

[04/10/10,11:57:11] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

Currently installed is Framework 1.1, 1.1 Hot Fix, and 2.0 SP1

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the delay, but have you tried going through the Windows Update page on Microsoft's site?

irishmomx4

irishmomx4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yes I went directly to the update page when it wouldn't install off of the cd but still had the error..

Thanks

Edited by irishmomx4, 14 March 2011 - 08:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could go into Add\Remove Programs and remove the current Net Framework and then install the 3.5 version located HERE.
You could also skip the first step and just go to the website and try to install it.

irishmomx4

irishmomx4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Rec'd the following when I tried to remove .NET from the Control Panel Add/Remove

The Path'C:\20b4fe1f6e8a8d8ab5\wcu\dotnetframework\dotnetfx20\Netfx20a_x86.msi' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again or try to find the installation package 'Netfx20a_x86.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1.

I am on a home personal computer and have the administrator rights...I searched for the file and found the following locations:

C:\Documents and Settings\Colleen\Local Settings\temp\dotnetfx3530729.01\1033\dotnetfx20

C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\04232010_200926\C_e4c84b4c0c991ce0388e9833a8\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFX20\

Trying to right click and uninstall was unsuccessful from these locations

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to just go to the website I linked and install the 3.5 from there?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
TRY THE SUGGESTION FROM THE MODERATOR FIRST
ie: installing directly from that link, rather than from the Windows Update site.

IF AND ONLY IF that does not work

Go start, run and type

timedate.cpl
If time and date properties open. Simply click Cancel.
If HOWEVER it produces a message that you do not have administrator rights - then that is why the error 1603 is being returned.

If Time and date properties does open
then do this.
Go start, run and type cmd
When the command windows opens
type MSIExec, and then press Enter.

If you receive an error message the MSI - Windows Installer service is corrupted or has some other error.
If the installer window opens all is in order, close that and then type EXIT in the cmd window to close that.

If the MSIExec produces an error message post back the EXACT message pls.

If NO ERROR message is received
Proceed as follows
  • Click Start
    , type services.msc in the run box then click OK
  • Right-click the Windows Installer service, listed in the window and then click Properties.
  • If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual.
  • Click OK to close the Properties window.
  • Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Start. The service should start without errors.
  • NOW TRY TO INSTALL the update.
If it still does not work - post back pls.