Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt or Missing Windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

rajapc

rajapc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello All,

I have an IBM Thinkpad T-60, Model 2007ZVT, with 2000 Mhz Intel Core 2 CPU, I am running XP professional version 5,1, build 2600, service pack 3. I do not have the Windows XP Disks, as I purchased the computer with the OS pre-loaded, I am also, out of warrenty, and in deep trouble! When I try to boot, I receive the error message Corrupt or Missing windows\system32\config\system. I can get into the rescue and recovery screen, but I do not seem to be able to access any previous backup, or run any of the restore options.

I have tried to create a recovery cd, but when I try to boot into it, all I get is a flashing curser. I am not real tech savvy, and would really appreciate any help that you can give me.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not familiar with that actual IBM model.
However what are the options when you enter the recovery procedure using either the Thinkpad key or the F11 at startup

The error message indicates a problem with the registry. - frequently caused by running registry cleaners. 0r possibly by forcing a shutdown whilst the hard drive is being written to.
See this link
http://www-307.ibm.c...cid=MIGR-4UFUYK

additionally pls explain tried to create recovery cd.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to above, I presume you mean the IBM Lenova rescue and recovery CD.

Download this
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Make it using this.
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Boot the computer to the CD. You may have to enter setup on F2 to change boot priority to CD. Try it first without that, as the DVD/CD may already be first boot device.

When you boot to the CD, and it asks for the password, try leaving it blank at first.
If that does not work, try the passwords you have.

When you get into recovery console select the Windows, normally you will onlyhave the one on C:\Windows.
at that prompt type
"chkdsk /p" without quotes and note space between chkdsk and the /p

Please post back and if that does not work, or you cannot get into Recovery Console -please explain in detail what message was received or what occurred and I will send you another possible solution
IF you wish to recover valuable data - while you are waiting please see my next post.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 08:08 PM.

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I searched this forum with the following query: Corrupt or Missing Windows\system32\config\system

I forund a thread that explains how to repair this without the original windows XP disks, which I dont have. The instructions pointed me to creating a disk by imiging a file called rc.iso to a cd, and then instruts me to boot into the cd, and select r for repair. However, the cd never boots, just hangs on flashing curser.

When I try to restore the system from rescue and recovery, there is no backup to choose from in step 2, I don't know why, as I thought rescue and recovery were backing up in the background. Like I said, I am not very tech savvy.

The link that you pointed me to does not seem to be for my particular system, T60 with Windows XP.

Still hoping to be able to overcome this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

There are a number of ways of recovering your data. One is below and probably one of the best.
Puppy Linux
See this link and
http://distro.ibibli...fulldrivers.iso
Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC the same program as I sent you for the recovery console
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

• Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
    Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
    You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Make sure the cd you burned is in the cd drive before clicking Y and then your system will reboot. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...
you can use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..
after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...
now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...
your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive.. and download to another computer.
Ensure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..
Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption.

POSTED with acknowledgement to Happyrock and other authors of this information

NOTE only save your personal data. If your computer has been infected and you save other material you may then transfer the infected files back to the newly installed operating system. If that is how you eventually have to proceed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 08:14 PM.

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK,
Made the disc, and it is running, please pray for me!!

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
After booting into the Windows disc, and selecting R, I was brought to the command prompt, and ran chkdsk /p
After it ran, it returned to the command prompt, and I rebooted, but have the same error message as before, what did I miss?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What was the message immediately after running the chkdsk /p please

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, I am at the command prompt C:\> IS this where I type the command chkdsk /p ?

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
After running the CHKDSK /p I see the following

The volume Serial Number is f1b0-950v
CHKDSK is checking the volume...

CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
chkdsk has finished checking the volume.
1007328 kilobytes total disk space.
74064 kilobytes are availble.
16384 bytes in each allocation unit
62958 total allocation units on disk
4629 allocation units available on disk

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If that has no result
Try this please.
Please take your time and type the cmds carefully. PLEASE IGNORE THE FACT that this procedure starts at number 7. It is part of a direction for other matters.
C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

Posted with acknowledgement to Broni and others

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 08:35 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your post 10 - when you enter the recovery console with that CD
You should see this
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

You should then be at the prompt
C:\ Windows

That total hard drive space on your post 10
cannot be the main partition carrying windows.
It is too small.
1007328 kilobytes IS
1007 Megabytes which is
ONLY just over 1Gb.
IF YOU HAVE TYPED IT CORRECTLY - that is.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 08:46 PM.

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am at the command prompt
C:\>
I type in cd system~1\resto~1
The reply is cannot find the file or directory specified

from C:\>
cd windows\system32\config
the system cannot find the file or directory specified

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you ever been at a command prompt
C:\WINDOWS>

TAKE YOUR TIME PLS you are typing the wrong command.
The correct command is

cd system~1\_resto~1

You say you are typing
cd system~1\resto~1

PLEASE NOTE THE DIFFERENCE

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 08:52 PM.

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, Thank you for your paitence with me, I told you I am not very tech savvy. I did remember some dos commands, and diplayed the dir, and noticed that the computer was looking at a flash drive that was stuck in the side (DUH!) I reinitiated the CD we made, and it came up that there is no hard drive installed, so that is why the system 32 file is missing, a hardware problem, the hard drive is not powering up, or somthining in the set up is fubar, let me mess with that, and I will report back, thanks for your help!!!