Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt or Missing Windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am signing off.
It is 0253hrs here in UK
If you have no success - and please do take your time.
I suggest you move back to the PUPPY LINUX instructions and secure your data.

Good luck.
I will pick the thread up again about 1800hrs UK time., unless someone else has come in to help.

NB I have just had a quick look and most of those T60`s had a 100 Gb Hard Drive.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2011 - 09:05 PM.

Advertisements

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I boot into the cd we made, and press r for repair, it returns the message that the utility cannot find windows, and to verify that the hardrve is installed, and that I may need to run a hdd diagnostics from the manufacturer. I am in set up, running the hdd diagnostics program, but it has been on 0% for a long time.

I know th hard drive is powering up, and I know there are files on the hard drive because when I run the rescue and recovery utility, it pages through a whole bunch of windows files. I am going to let the hdd diagnostics run over night. I will check back in wwith you tomorrow afternoon. Sorry I am such a bone head, thanks for your paitence, I look forward to takling to you tomorrow.

Thanks again,

rajapc

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Sorry I am such a bone head

Honestly - NO apology is necessary.
It is far more preferable to work with someone who admits their level of knowledge is limited, rather than the person who states they are experienced and then asks how to enter setup.

Would you please make the CD in my post 5 and see if you can access your data. If so I suggest you recover anything valuable.
I have a feeling you may be looking at a problem that is not going to be solved without a reinstall

rajapc

rajapc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
HOORAY!!! After installing a new hard drive, and going through about a million updates, and snafus with hardware configurations, I am back in business. Thank you for all of your help. I have the bad hard drive with my friend who is trying to retrieve data. I am especially interested in my .pst files, so I can restore all of my outlook archives. Thanks again!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased but you can very likely get your data with that Puppy I sent you.
However if he can access the drive on his computer he can of course get it more easily.
ie: in an enclosure, or slaved.