Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

watchdog.sys Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
How would I know if I was? What can I check to see that I am not doing that? It's possible that sometimes I am running a few too many programs at once, but even when I don't have much open, it blue screened (or it could be that I was impatient while waiting for the computer to load before opening things).

Could I get more ram so I don't have that issue?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't know if you are then most likely you are not. Someone would know if they changed the default speed, FSB and timings on ram and cpu.

This is a long shot but worth a try right now.
In some bios it has a option to shutdown [b]watchdog]/b]. I'm not sure where it would be so you will have to go through everything.
Don't change anything unless you find the entry and if it is enabled then I suggest disabling it.
Let me know if you find it or not.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

If you don't know if you are then most likely you are not. Someone would know if they changed the default speed, FSB and timings on ram and cpu.

This is a long shot but worth a try right now.
In some bios it has a option to shutdown [b]watchdog. I'm not sure where it would be so you will have to go through everything.
Don't change anything unless you find the entry and if it is enabled then I suggest disabling it.
Let me know if you find it or not.

What does disabling it do?

And to find it, what steps would I take? Is this in the startup?

Or... would it be easier to perhaps replace the video card? I have one from my brother (he upgraded) - but I'd need to get a new power supply for it.

Edited by chantal7, 30 March 2011 - 08:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of the new video card.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

What is the make and model of the new video card.

Zotac GeForce GTX 470 (320-bit) That's what it says on the box. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and what do you mean you need a new power supply for it?

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The computer guy here told me I needed a bigger one to run this video card. He told me a 600W would do just fine. I don't even remember which one I have, though.

Edit: I found which one I have, it's a 400W.

Video card requires minimum 550W or greater.

Edited by chantal7, 31 March 2011 - 08:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes now i understand and a 600 watt should work just fine. I would suggest though you invest in a good brand name one like a Corsair 600 watt 80 plus certified. Getting a low grade PSU is just asking for trouble and potentially could cause a electrical fire.
This one HERE should give you everything you need and more.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Yes now i understand and a 600 watt should work just fine. I would suggest though you invest in a good brand name one like a Corsair 600 watt 80 plus certified. Getting a low grade PSU is just asking for trouble and potentially could cause a electrical fire.
This one HERE should give you everything you need and more.

Okay - thanks! That helps, because I was not sure which one to choose. I notice for the video card it requires 2GB of ram at the least, and that 4GB would be better. I look at my system properties and it tells me 1.75GB - do I need more ram then? or am I reading it wrong?

I was hoping to maybe purchase from a Canadian website. I didn't see any 80 plus certified though ... here is the site: http://www.ncix.com/...facture=Corsair

Edited by chantal7, 31 March 2011 - 01:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do this and it will tell us the exact amount of memory you have installed.

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

Advertisements

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Windows XP Service Pack 3

AMD Athlon™ 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 4600+
2.42GHz, 1.75 GB of RAM

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep 1.75 gigs of memory.
is this the card HERE?
If so I see no reference to needing 2 gigs of available ram memory for the card to work. :D

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
That is the card, yep.

That's weird! I look on the side panel of the box it came in and it has a list of "minimum system requirements" - perhaps I could get the computer guys to install it for me and make sure it would be okay. I still wouldn't mind getting more ram anyway, I deal with a lot of pictures :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't remember if we discussed the upgrade of ram but I will include the instructions for that.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I don't remember if we discussed the upgrade of ram but I will include the instructions for that.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Okay. Memory seems a lot less confusing than everything else we've been doing :D . I thank you again for all your assistance and help. I probably won't buy any power supply or ram yet, but in a few weeks if not longer as for an update on how everything is going.