Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downsizing case

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So I have a lot of wasted space inside my regular tower. I have a standard ATX motherboard with all standard equipment. This means that the case is actually around 1 inch too wide. I also do not need all the space at the front (only have one HDD and could manage with an external DVD drive.

Are there any options for a smaller case whilst still using a standard size ATX board?

Edited by tiroshii, 11 March 2011 - 07:15 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could down size to a smaller case but honestly why would you.
The extra room allows for better air flow which keeps your system running cooler.
It would help if you could provide some pictures to see what you are mentioning.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Yes I will add photos when I get home.

My computer runs at 30 degrees so I don't really have a problem with cooling

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My computer runs at 30 degrees so I don't really have a problem with cooling

:D
Yep that is why I don't suggest a smaller case as it may raise your readings because of the lack of air flow in a smaller case.
Just as a matter of curiosity can you post the case make and model please and I will take a look at the specs along with trying to find a smaller case for you.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I bought it 6 years ago so have no idea on details sorry, and it's unbranded. It's a budget thing with 2 80mm fans in it (one side and one rear)

I found this which looks ideal http://www.coolermas...product_id=6056

Something like that would be perfect (The PSU goes where the HDDs would normally go which seems to make it a lot more compact..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Elite 360 (RC-360) is a mini-tower that accommodates micro-ATX and ATX motherboards

It looks like it will accept standard ATX motherboards.
Look at the below specs. None of the fans are included and would have to be purchased separately.

Cooling System
Bottom: 80 x 20 mm fan x 1 (optional)
Rear: 80 x 20 mm fan x 2 (optional)
Side: 120 / 90 / 80 mm fan x 1 (optional)
Top: 120 mm fan x 1 or 90 / 80 mm fan x 1 (optional)

The PSU goes where the HDDs would normally go which seems to make it a lot more compact..

Compact means you will have to add the fans to make sure there is adequate air flow to keep everything cool.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I have a plethora of fans I could use. I measured up comparing it to my work PC (pretty much identical to my case at home) and it is a considerable amount smaller and looks very good size wise.

I will double check everything when I get home to check sizes and see if it will fit.

I think to be honest this is a good option. My PC runs at a cold temperature currently with a stock heat sink and only 2 80mm fans, so with the 4 options in this case and potentially a new heat sink (if I have issues) I think it should be okay?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep adding the extra fans and making sure your wiring is managed correctly to allow for airflow, then I would say yes you have a good option.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have worked on a machine with this exact looking case, except it was a no-name brand cheapie. Internals looked exactly the same. To be honest I hated working on it inside, very compact and difficult to get it in. But once set up it worked reasonable well. I will never forget that case because it comes back into the shop every now and again for repairs and maintenance.

Make use of case fan locations and it will run cool enough.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

I have worked on a machine with this exact looking case, except it was a no-name brand cheapie. Internals looked exactly the same. To be honest I hated working on it inside, very compact and difficult to get it in. But once set up it worked reasonable well. I will never forget that case because it comes back into the shop every now and again for repairs and maintenance.

Make use of case fan locations and it will run cool enough.

Thanks, If push comes to shove I could always drill out one of the sides and add a mesh window? May not happen for a while 'til I can find a decent monitor I can afford :D