Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading a computer, what to upgrade first?

• Please log in to reply

Sunix

Sunix

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can point out for me what would be the best to upgrade first?

Current PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-960 (3,2Ghz)

Graphic card: EVGA GeForce GTX 480 (1536MB PhysX 752 MHz)

RAM: 3x2GB(6GB) Corsair 1600MHz XMS3 DDR3

PSU: Corsair HX 1000W

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme X58

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sunix, 11 March 2011 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please be patient as it has only been 6 hours since starting this topic. We are all volunteers and as such we are not always here. With that being said I have some questions.
What is the reason for the upgrade?
The specs you posted are pretty good for a high end system.
What is the future purpose of the system for needing to upgrade?
What hd or hd's do you have in the system?

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm intending to use the PC mainly for playing RIFT, it runs rift pretty nicely now (40 FPS at ultra) but I would like to push 60 FPS.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It may be you have forced setting in control centre. Graphics should be controlled by the application.

> http://trionworlds.c...detail/a_id/461

This post may help. > http://forums.riftga...-a-Beefy-System

Edited by iammykyl, 12 March 2011 - 07:09 AM.

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It may be you have forced setting in control centre. Graphics should be controlled by the application.

> http://trionworlds.c...detail/a_id/461

Every setting were the same on my nvidia :/ so its not that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are wanting more FPS then the most logical choice would be to replace the video card with something better.
Now you can replace with top of the line which right now would run a thousand or more. What kind of budget do you have for a replacement card?

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hardware is abit expensive in norway but lets say upwards 1000USD for the video card. Was thinking the Radeon 6990

Edited by Sunix, 12 March 2011 - 08:19 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Exactly the card i referenced above to be hones.
Nice card and if you can't hit the FPS you want with it then it's not a video card issue.
Make sure to check AMD's website HERE especially the system requirements to make sure your system does meet those. Pay close attention to the dual power connectors needed for the video card itself.

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have 2x free 8 pins. But I am not sure about my power supply, it says the card uses 750 right? would that be 1000-750 = 250watt left for the other hardware? or am I far off with the calculation of powersupply use?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your PSU is more then enough to handle the card. :D

According to their specs:

750W Watt or greater power supply with two 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (1000W and four 8-pin connectors recommended for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode. 1200W recommended for optimal performance).

As you can see the 1000 watt will run even the card in Crossfire mode. With just one card the PSU you have should be fine.

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, thank you alot :D) The card is not realesed in Norway until 1th of may so I guess its still some time until I get to test it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm envious :D because I want to get one for my system but I can't afford that much for just a video card right now.

When you do get it please return and let us know what you think of the card. :D

Sunix

Sunix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After checking inside my PC I could only find 2x 8pin where as one was in my mother board and the other in my current Graphic card, after checking my power supply specs on the internet I'm pretty sure there should be more 8 pin cables. Well anyway here is the specs of the power supply, and it says 6+2 8pin, and those cables are the ones needed? just want someone to confirm before opening my PC again.

4 x power 15-pin SATA to 4-pin adapter
4 x power 4-pin to mini-power 4-pin Y-adapter
5 x power 8 - to 4-pin ATX12V + 6-pin PCI Express Y-Adapter
(put the specs in google translate since some of the words I didn't know the excact translation for. So it may be abit hard to understand)

Once again thanks for all the help, you've been super helpfull :D

Edited by Sunix, 12 March 2011 - 09:53 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this your PSU HERE