Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Lost" data files

• Please log in to reply

bmoore6

bmoore6

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So my computer was giving me issues (internet connection troubles, wouldn't start correctly) and I did a recovery. I was prompted by a pop up telling me i'd loose no data files. I clicked ok and when I rebooted later I discover that unlike previous times my desktop is back to factory settings. My documents folder is empty.
On my desktop I have all the old programs that come pre-packaged but Firefox, Super anti-spyware, and google chrome remain.

My old music downloads are still accessible but Itunes is gone.

I did some reading on this and it says that my documents are probably stored in a backup folder. I have no idea how to access it.
Can my documents be recovered? It seems like the same amount of space is being taken up on my c drive. I tried Recuva and I don't see any of my files.

Please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi bmoore6 ... :D ..:D
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but when you restored to factory condition you lost all your data unless you made backups

bmoore6

bmoore6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the welcome.

I guess I'm just....devastated isn't strong enough. I don't get why if it returned to factory condition it would keep the items I mentioned on the desktop. My Music folder is still available. So why would it pick and choose what to destroy? Also why can't I restore to previous updates? It will only let me go back to the day of the recovery an no further. I'm sorry to ask you why so many times I just don't understand. I keep reading about how it's probably in a folder somewhere on my c drive. Is there anyway to access it at all?

I just need my documents back. I've got copies of some things but this is my master computer- in the past even if I have trouble a recovery wouldn't delete my data files. So once again i ask why now? Why would it do what it said it wouldn't do? Does that make sense?

I can link you to the articles I was reading.

EDIT: Audacity, AIM, Photoshop, Avast and a few other programs are still on my start menu and they still work.

Edited by bmoore6, 12 March 2011 - 09:54 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
System restore is like a time machine...it will take your system back to any restore points created...
a complete restore is what you did...it takes the computer back to the day it was built...thats why it was telling you it was going to delete all your files....
remember this for the future....any data that you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you don't care about
burn copies of your data to cd/dvd's ....copy to a external drive and copy to flash drives....best practice is to do all of those and at least one copy should be out of the house

BritannicaM

BritannicaM

• Pip
  • 1 posts

System restore is like a time machine...it will take your system back to any restore points created...
a complete restore is what you did...it takes the computer back to the day it was built...thats why it was telling you it was going to delete all your files....
remember this for the future....any data that you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you don't care about
burn copies of your data to cd/dvd's ....copy to a external drive and copy to flash drives....best practice is to do all of those and at least one copy should be out of the house

It said it would NOT delete my files. Thats why I'm confused. I wouldn't have done the recovery if it said it WOULD have deleted my files.
I understand the need for more copies which I will do so in the future. But the problem is it did what it said it would not do. Is that not strange? I didn't do anything different from any other time.

...and i've got no idea how I just logged into this old account lol.

Edited by BritannicaM, 12 March 2011 - 10:52 AM.