Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Impossible fix

• Please log in to reply

INFINITY101

INFINITY101

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everybody

I have got a emachines m5122 notebook. I installed windows 7 on to the system and found out that my drivers where not supported.

I the decided to downgrade back to windows xp. To get there I downloaded the windows xp iso and used winrar to extract it. Then I put all the files on a USB drive as well as all my important documents. (I already own a licence key)

I rebooted my pc and selected safe mode with command prompt. When the cp loaded I typed the directory to WINNT32.EXE. I typed my licence code in and then it did it's job by preparing the files. once it prepared the files it rebooted and then tried to install windows. After a little moment it said FATAL ERROR. It continues by saying (AN ERROR AS BEEN ENCOUNTERED THAT PREVENTS SETUP FROM CONTINUING) then it says (ONE OF THE COMPONENTS THAT WINDOWS NEEDS TO CONTINUE SETUP COULD NOT BE INSTALLED) then has (ACCESS IS DENIED). I click ok then it gives me a list of files saying (INSTALLATION FAILED-ACCESS IS DENIED) I click close and the whole thing starts again.

There is no way for me to fix this I can't use a disk because my disk tray snapped and broke a while back. I can't get into the command prompt because it says (WINDOWS XP CAN'T LOAD SAFE MODE)

It looks bleak and looks like I cant do anything about it. If anybody knows any way of sorting this problem out please reply

Thank You and take care

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

To get there I downloaded the windows xp iso and used winrar to extract it.

Where did you download it from?

INFINITY101

INFINITY101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying

I got the iso from the pirate bay. I do have the licence for windows xp tho.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem is almost every one of those downloaded files is corrupt in some way as you have seen.
The other problem is the possibility of installed malware in the image file.
If you own a Genuine License for the OS on the laptop then you can contact Emachines and request a set of Recovery disks which will include the original OS and drivers for your specific system.
Trying to resolve the issue with your file is not only impossible but something we here at GTG cannot do per our Terms of Use:

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

Their contact info is located HERE.
Normally the cost for these disks is less then 50 USD.

INFINITY101

INFINITY101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help I will install a new disk tray into my laptop and contact them.

I'm sorry for the illegal post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would also suggest maybe asking Emachines if there is a Recovery Partition on the hd and if they can tell you how to access it. Unless when you formatted the drive you also formatted the recovery partition, then you may be able to return the system to factory new state by using that partition.