Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bluegang6

bluegang6

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hey all,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop on my hands, and it won't boot at all!

Everytime I hit the power button, itll do the BIOS Post and all, and start up windows.

You see Windows 7's loading bar, but it is taken away within a flash, and then you see a new screen that says that Windows is Loading the files

Afterwards, It automatically gets into start-up repair, and I see the following:

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200856
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailOver
Problem Signature 06: 22
Problem Signature 07: Corruptfile
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.
Locale ID: 4105

Ive tried everything.
Safe-mode will bring me back here, last known good configuration, system restore, everything :S

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hi :D
:D . My name is Michael and I am here to help you fix your computer. ;)
If you have already received help elsewhere please inform me so that this topic can be closed.
If you haven't, please keep reading:
Note: Before we start the process you should:
  • POST your logs, don't attach them, as it makes it harder to read.
  • Save or print these instructions as a part of the fix will be in safe mode where you will not be able to access the internet.
  • Disable ANY programs that offer real-time protection features while executing my instructions. That includes your antivirus, antispyware, windows defender or any other program that offers protection. When you're clean or waiting for my next set of instructions, re-enable them .If you need any help disabling them, ask.
  • Each time I instruct you to download a file to use it, please do it even if I have told you before to download it again. This is because these tools are frequently updated to detect newer infections.
  • Last, as most of the tools we use here need administrative rights in order to function properly, I expect that you will be running them from an administrator account.

Do you have your Window CD? That's the CD that you used to install your copy of Windows in your machine, or just came with the computer when you bought it :D

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hey Michael,
I have built my own custom PC, so I have an OEM Vista, and a 64bit Windows 7 Upgrade disk (has repair option).

The OS that is affected on the laptop is Windows 7 32bit (also upgraded from Vista), however, I can still throw in the 64bit upgrade and access repair options :D

I probably still have the original Dell disks, but there shouldn't be any serious differences.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hey,

I'd appreciate any more information you can give me in order to direct the solution somewhere, like when that happened, what were you doing at that time, if any errors appeared...

Let's start from this:
  • Please boot into safe mode, by starting your computer and continuously pressing F8. Then choose "Repair my computer". If that doesn't work, load Recovery console from the Windows CD. If you need any help on this, please let me know.
  • From there, choose StartUp Repair, just to see if it can do anything by its own.
    Posted Image
  • If it can't do anything, select "Command Prompt"
  • Please make sure you follow the instructions of this guide exactly as given or you might risk more problems.
    NOTE; Make sure you press Enter after each command.
    Make sure all commands are exactly as shown in this guide, including "spaces".

First, we will start off with this command.

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Note about the above command.
    bootrec /RebuildBcd will search for pre-existing installations of Windows and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
    If there is only one installation, it should use it automatically, without asking anything more

For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
    If, for example, you are using Windows 7 Home, you could type Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
    For the OS Load Option portion of this command, you should enter the following: /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:

Here is what you should see:
    Posted Image

• The following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows 7 installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, it’s still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows and that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be causing issues.
    Take note that this scan might take a long while. Leave it running uninterrupted!

CHKDSK /R
  • This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit "Y" and hit Enter to confirm your decision:

bootrec /fixboot

• Type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
    - Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

• It’s time to reboot your PC by typing:
    EXIT
    and pressing Enter.
With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows 7.

Next:

After all these, please try to boot into normal mode. If you can, work it a little and then follow this guide an post here the log
If you can't, please report it here and tell me what happens in all the process of booting, what you see, any errors etc..

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your reply (was out of town).

Running startup repair would not work

Cmd Prompt ran from comp itself or from Win 7. Disk is loaded into X (my drive is labelled C). So, when I load up CMD.exe, I Get the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

X:\windows\system32

When I enter "CD: C/"

I see:

X:\windows\system32>cd c:
C:\

X:\windows\system32>

What to do?

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hey,

If your C: drive is labelled as X: , then it's OK, continue with all the command but replace C: with X: :D

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
there is no boot.ini in drive labelled "X"
and the commands won't work :S

I am 100% sure that drive C used to be here :D, but now it won't shell out the proper commands :S

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Not only that, but also on the main page of System Recovery Options, the title is as follows:

Choose a recovery Tool
Operating System: Windows 7 on (C:) OS

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hey,

Sorry, the command to change drive shouldn't be:
cd c:
but:
cd /D C:\

Try now and tell me if it's working

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
ouch ^^ lol

I just tried to enter "C:" and that worked ^^ :D

ahahaha

Now I'm running the commands you told me to enter early on :D

Advertisements

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
:D

ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini is resulting in a "File not found - C:\boot.ini" message :S

Shall I attempt t rebuild it now? :S

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hey,

Try the instructions now :D
They have been edited

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
:D :D ;)!

bootrec /RebuildBcd returned 0 total identified windows installations

So I stopped there, just incase you want me to try something else :D

How could this be? :S

I just tried "CD C:\Windows" and it showed the path.. so I still have the directories there :D

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hey,

That's something strange but we'll see about it. Please proceed with the rest of the instructions :D

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
For the chkdsk /r, I get the following: Posted Image (of-course with chkdsk /r instead of /f)

However, when prompted for y/n over the dismount, I selected Yes

Once it finished running, I got that windows has checked the file system and has found no problems.

bootrec /fixboot returned a successful operation execution

sfc /scannow returns with an error message:
:There is a system repair pending which required reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again

I restarted and no luck has been found :S