Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is mscdexnt.exe

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I was looking for was hopefully a recovery partition but it may have never existed or when the shop did the last install they may have erased it.

Advertisements

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I will print this topic and take it to the store. i think i've learned my lesson and will be very careful with what i delete. thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If they run the sfc they may be able to get the file back then.

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
good. thanks. i'll post what they'll do to us. talk to you soon

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi, there

i took this computer to the repair shop to fix the situation i had- they told me that i have a virus and they had to reinstall win xp pro sp 3, but they refused to give me the disk. now i have a new problem - my screen is stretched and it looks funny. i have tried to increase resolution and change the font size. is this the way to go, or i have to drag the machine back to the shop? please help!!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i took this computer to the repair shop to fix the situation i had- they told me that i have a virus and they had to reinstall win xp pro sp 3,

Did they tell you the name of the virus?
Can you get a screenshot of your desktop to show us what you are seeing?

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi, there!
i'm sorry for not responding right away- i have moved, so, i had to reconnect my computer in a different location with a different isp provider. now, i have new situation beside the one i had: i attached myself to my daughter's network, but i can't get my computer to print. she has win7 ie8, cannon mf4350 printer and i have win xp pro sp3, ie8 computer. it seems that when i hit print, the computer recognizes printer, but nothing comes out. the print icon just sits in taskbar.

i'm sorry for throwing things at you - i'm getting frustrated with the whole situation, especially that the place i took my computer to, is no help at all and i can't rely on them.

as for the virus i had, they told me it was the one i had deleted - mscdexnt.exe, but it managed to screw up disk drives, at least that what they told me (computer technician). also he removed avg10 free and cccleaner from computer and installed microsoft security essentials and said that i'm better off with it. am i?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

also he removed avg10 free and cccleaner from computer and installed microsoft security essentials and said that i'm better off with it. am i?

Yep better program as far as I am concerned and less of a resource hog for sure.

As far as the printer does it have the XP drivers installed on your system and is the computer hooked to one system or is it setup as a network printer?

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i will check with my daughter how printer is set. let me do some digging and i'll post later. thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 9 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There are other ways to get rid of virus's if it was truely a virus.
I hope you did not lose a lot of files when they reloaded the OS again.

I also hope they installed all of the device drivers. Lets look at that to be sure.
Please Go to

1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi, there! i'm still having problems with the printer and with the stretched screen, but at least, i don't have the virus. i am attaching this page so that you can see what i see. maybe you can help. i have changed the screen resolution, otherwise , with the higher resolution it is very uncomfortable for the eyes. this situation had happened after win xp pro was reinstalled.

i'm having this situation that i can't use my computer all the time, just once in awhile, so i can't respond fast. thus, please, be patient. hopefully, in a month or so i'll have my own place.

thanks again, for keeping this topic open

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-04-15_204651.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your browser open to the full size of your screen?

sem40

sem40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
it seems that it is slightly off the full size

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Shrink it by putting your mouse on the left or right side. If you have the cursor right on the edge of the browser window it will turn into a double sided arrow. Click and hold down the left mouse button and drag the edge toward the opposite side shrinking the window in width. Once it is where you like it let go of the mouse button. Now is the length where you like it?