Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD caused by tcpip.sys in Win7 64bit

• Please log in to reply

Reg.T

Reg.T

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys. I hope someone can help. This is on a new laptop - just a week old. Windows update has been busy making changes, and I think it installed SP1 a couple of days ago. Then last night when I turned it on, it showed it was making a Registry change and then configuring changes during startup. Thenm after loggin on it did a BSOD on me. Same thing on restart. Booted into safe mode, and restored to last restore point. restart resulted in the BSOD again.

I'm attaching a picture of the Bluescreen, and also a minidump zip file for anyone to take a look at.

I'm an IT professional, but not a windows whizz, so if possible I'd like someone to explain not just the remediation steps, but what those steps do, and what might have gone wrong in the first place.

The machine only connects wirelessly, and has a Broadcom 802.11n wifi device installed. I can give more details if required, but need pointers as to what you need to know.

TIA.

Reg

Attached Thumbnails

• BSOD.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Not uncommon, to see problems after SP1. on 7.
I would suspect a driver issue.
SP1 is a bit selective re drivers.

Download this pls, run and click analyse.
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
Pls post the results as a copy and paste, not as a file which I have to open. = Thks.

I would as a matter of course check for drivers available on the wireless card, the graphics and the sound. , albeit the computer is only a week old.

I am a little hesitant to ask, as you say you are an IT prof, but here goes, "You have not installed any registry cleaner or similar have you, and does it by any chance come with AVG TuneUp 2011, installed"?
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-pctuneup

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 March 2011 - 04:19 PM.

Reg.T

Reg.T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply, Macboatmaster. In Device Manager I have now tried letting windows search for updated drivers for Wireless, Display and Audio adapters, but it reported that they were all fine. Have also run a Samsung Update Plus utility (which probably does a similar thing, I guess) but that reported that everything was up-to-date.

No, I do not have any registry cleaners or AVG installed. Forgive the double-checking, but are you suggesting that I need to shell out $30 to fix a week-old machine?

(It's just that the link to AVG is not near the "download this" instruction, and is adjacent to a question that mentions both PCTools and Registry Cleaners (which your footer link implies tend to be a bad thing, especially in inexperienced hands) in the same breath.)

I don't mind you asking any question - like I said, PCs/OSs isn't my field, but I do understand that it's probably easy to do more harm than good by poking around and trying things blindly.

Cheers

Reg

Edited by Reg.T, 12 March 2011 - 02:55 PM.

Reg.T

Reg.T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Clarification: Have just checked and the System Info window (in Safe mode) does NOT show SP1. Not sure if this is because of the Restore I did yesterday.

Reg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No I was not suggesting that you install anything like that keep well away from them
Regsitry cleaners , tuneup programs, boosters are the quickest way of acquring problems rather than solutions.

Using Windows, to search for drivers, is not always the best idea.
There have been instances of it finding the wrong one.
If the computer is branded, as this one is always go to the site - ie Samsung, Dell, etc.
If anything has been added, although it does not of course apply in your case go to the manufacturers site for the addition. ie: Nvidia for graphics etc.
HOWEVER I SEE YOU HAVE DONE THAT

You will not of course have SP1 as the restore to a point before SP1 will have taken the computer back to what it was.

MY APOLOGIES I missed the link on download this., or rather, somehow the link has not appeared.
It is now there on my original post.

When you try again for SP1, which you must do, pls see this and DISABLE your anti-virus, but only of course when on the update site.
http://windows.micro...vice-pack-1-sp1

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 March 2011 - 05:22 AM.

Reg.T

Reg.T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again - glad I checked!

Here's the output:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: SAMMY
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 4081647616 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2004172800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 3/12/2011 7:33:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031211-17503-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x2D7F8)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A2F7F8, 0xFFFFF8800929DC50, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 3/12/2011 7:33:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswrdr.sys (aswRdr+0x10EE)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A2F7F8, 0xFFFFF8800929DC50, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswrdr.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! TDI RDR Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswrdr.sys (avast! TDI RDR Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswrdr.sys AVAST Software SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Fri 3/11/2011 8:50:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031111-22807-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x2D7F8)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88001A2E7F8, 0xFFFFF88009237C50, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

aswrdr.sys (avast! TDI RDR Driver, AVAST Software)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

So that seems to be pointing at Avast (I'm running Free vsn 6.0.1000). I'm also running ZoneAlarm, which (from a brief look at some of the links above) looks like it might sometimes interfere with Avast.
ZoneAlarm Free vsn 9.2.105.000, Truevector (same), Driver vsn 9.2.031.000, Browser Security vsn 1.5.265.2.

Any clarification on whether I need to try uninstalling one or both (and how), and what to replace them with would be welcome. Or if I need to do something completely different!

Cheers

Reg
(will check back on Sun)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you installed Avast on a PC already equipped with ZoneAlarm, you will have a pop up window informing you that there is compatibility problem concerning Web Filtering.
ZoneAlarm primary function is to act as a firewall, but also perform web filtering and act as an antivirus. As for Avast, it is an antivirus capable of performing web filtering. In order to prevent any conflicts be sure that ZoneAlarm and Avast are not performing the same tasks.

However see this from the Avast forum « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
Quote from: greener on January 30, 2011, 05:59:23 AMI suggest that you should REMOVE ONE (not turn-off) (AVAST or Zone Alarm).You cannot turn off a software....but you need to actually uninstall it to test it. (click on link to access forum)

There have been reports by many on the forum with conflicts of ZA firewall and Avast. I would start by uninstalling ZA firewall per the vendor's instructions, reboot your machine, and see if this fixes your problem.

You will, however, need a firewall since the XP firewall is 1-way and very weak. You might try something like Online Armor, Comodo (without AV), or Outpost to name a few. Avoid Ashampoo, which is a known conflict with Avast.
|MY COMMENT PLS NOTE IT WAS AN XP ISSUE but this does not alter the widely reported conflict between AVAST and Zone alarm.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 March 2011 - 06:06 PM.

Reg.T

Reg.T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yay, that seems to have sorted it (straightforward uninstall of ZoneAlarm). Thanks for the support.

Have re-enabled the Windows 7 Firewall for now, while I work out which other one to install. Any particular recommendations?

Cheers

Reg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Comodo is probably rated one of the best on the free. It is recommended here on Geeks to Go
MAKE SURE you only install the Firewall.
http://www.comodo.co...p?prod=firewall

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 March 2011 - 05:21 AM.

Reg.T

Reg.T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Done, and all seems to be working fine.

Many thanks for your help, Macboatmaster: it's much appreciated.

Now off to try and get File/Printer sharing working with the other machines on my home network....

Cheers

Reg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thks for taking the trouble to post again.
Good wishes.