Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another safe mode virus

• Please log in to reply

HomeDog

HomeDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
CT,
AppRemover did not find any Kapsersky software for removal, however it still appears in my "services" list and CP.
HD

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Can you get rid of it through Add/Remove programs?

HomeDog

HomeDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
CD,
No - I have tried removing, repairing, reinstalling and removing ...nothing seems to get it out of CP. I have attached messages I recieve when attempting the removal/change operations.
HD

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.pdf   233.04KB   533 downloads

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Visit this link and follow the instructions for running the removal tool, then tell me if Kaspersky still runs.

http://support.kaspe.../?qid=208279463

HomeDog

HomeDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
CD'

Success! The removal tool from the Kaspersky site did tne trick.

I am not sure if we have any other outstandings. Over the weekend I successfully reloaded the sound driver and the audio is now operational. The system seems to be running much better overall. I have AVG loaded and it does a full scan twice a week - any suggestions on other maintenance activities I should routinely perform to prevent infections, malware, etc?

Your help had been outstanding. Thank you for your patience and for sticking with me through the process. Please let me know of donation site.

Thank you.

HD

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Most Excellent! :D

I'll give you a cleanup procedure once my instructor clears it.

Where did you get the sound driver?

HomeDog

HomeDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
CT,

I re-installed the driver you had sent me earlier in one of your postings. Realtek High Definition. I did the download on 3/21, but I may have installed the 64 bit version instead of the 32-bit. At any rate, I decided to try to re-install it and it installed successfully.

HD

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
"Please let me know of donation site."

Currently I don't feel right in accepting monetary donations. Maybe when I've been here a while longer. Perhaps instead you could post a review of me in the Feedback forum? Or if you insist on donating, you could donate directly to GeeksToGo.com

Excellent Job! :D The logs appear to be clean!

We now need to finish cleaning up

Step #1

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS] 
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Then Re-Open OTL and click the Cleanup button to remove all the tools we used as well as OTL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:
    • SpywareBlaster - to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
    • SpywareGuard - to catch and block spyware before it can execute.
    • IESpy-Ad - to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
    • MVPS Hosts file - The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc.
    • Google Toolbar - Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
    • Recovery Console - Recent trends appear to indicate that future infections will include attacks to the boot sector of the computer. The installation of the Recovery Console in the computer will be our only defense against this threat. For more information and steps to install the Recovery Console see This Article. Should you need assistance in installing the Recovery Console, please do not hesitate to ask.
    • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

And to help keep your system clean I recommend running one or two of these free malware scanners weekly

Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Internet Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Use a different Internet Browser

It is also extremely important to keep your operating system up to date:

Turn on automatic updating
  • Click Start.
  • Select Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

Have a Backup Plan

Keep a backup of your important files - This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read these articles:
Safe Computing! ;)

~Cold Titanium :D