Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer would crash when ever it is working to hard.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are any of the fans pulling air in?
If the computer crashed then there will be a event posted.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Win7\Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Advertisements

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
None of the fans are pulling air in.

event viewer

Critical

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/16/2011 5:42:51 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: oi-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-17T00:42:51.622819500Z" />
<EventRecordID>185963</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>oi-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Critical

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/16/2011 5:42:51 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-17T00:42:51.622819500Z" />
<EventRecordID>185963</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

ERROR

Source: EventLog
Date: 3/16/2011 5:42:58 PM
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 5:41:37 PM on ‎3/‎16/‎2011 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-17T00:42:58.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>185957</EventRecordID>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>5:41:37 PM</Data>
<Data>‎3/‎16/‎2011</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>188</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DB070300030010001100290025008003DB070300040011000000290025008003600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B004000001000000BB050000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm that isn't telling me much except it crashed.
Try another WHoCrashed report.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Who CRashed

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: OI-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8588943360 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1945300992

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
pitstop link

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first big issue is the free space on your C drive is at 3%. That is a big problem as nothing will work right including the booting up of the system.
I need to confirm that please by doing the following.
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
disk managment.PNG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is a serious issue.
What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

The next issue you need to be aware of is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems.
The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs.
Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you.
I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial[/b] and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.
Please let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have as I am always happy to assist.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Alright I uninstalled the programs and I did a important data back up before I started this post. since I was prep for a OS reinstall :D

Edited by dooms982, 17 March 2011 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You uninstalled programs before we started and you still only have 5 gigs of space left?
Wow this could be the root of the issue since anything less then 10% free space will mess the Master File Table in the worse cases but in your case it seems to be crashing your system.
What about data like movies, videos and music? Is there a lot of that on the drive?

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have gone form 3 gigs of free space to 9 gigs of free space.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
What about data like movies, videos and music? Is there a lot of that on the drive? none of that on the C drive. The one program that was using up the most space was UBUNTU, I haven't used it in over a few months so its under I don't need it pile. WHile typing the msg above I remembered that I was not using UBUNTU so I just uninstalled it. I'm going to do a test to see if that was the problem.

Edited by dooms982, 17 March 2011 - 08:17 PM.

dooms982

dooms982

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
NO, that was not the issue. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK can you run a new screenshot from post 37 please to verify the free space on the drive now.